Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 AM   #71
tingsern

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdame View Post
It seems rather small in comparison to the performance boost and the fact that you never have to perform defragmentation. And they run way cooler and use less power.
While I don't deny they run way way cooler and use less power, I don't think the statement "never have to perform defrag" is correct. The reason why defrag is NOT recommended for use in SSD drives is - the operation wears out the individual NAND cells far beyond the MTBF rates. After using a SSD for a while - you still have to "defrag" - but, not the normal defrag. You copy everything out to somewhere else, format it (or delete everything), and copy it back. Fragmentation of a hard-disk (or SSD) is due to Windows's way of allocating clusters for files - and is unavoidable. Granted the hit that takes performance away from fragmentation is not that bad in SSD, as compared with a hard-disk, it is still better to "defrag" the files - if not, the free space available to create new files will be all over the place and it will take CPU cycles to find the little holes.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #72
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Diskeeper 2009 with HyperFast is optimized for SSD (still works with standard hard drives too).

My Eee 901 has SSD and I use it for general web surfing and a little bit of office. I found over time browsing got slower and slower with the disk activity light staying on constantly for 20-30 seconds (while the system was semi-hung).

After installing Diskeeper 2009 Premier with HyperFast and letting it manage my SSDs, I have not experienced any slowdowns.

I don't get paid by Diskeeper, but I am a big fan of their products.

So in my opinion, SSDs do need deframentation, especially if they are MLC (the cheaper and more common variety) and not SLC. Just make sure the defrag tool you use can consolidate free space and better yet, is optimized for SSD like Diskeeper 2009 with HyperFast.

I'm pretty sure you can download a 30-day trial for those of you already running SSDs.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:34 AM   #73
redgum

Diskkeeper has always been a great tool. Must try the newer version!
redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #74
tingsern

My only problem with Diskeeper is that it refuses to compact my 2.5TB HDD - according to their marketing mgr, only servers has that size HDD - so I must "upgrade" my version to server version. Of course - I refuse ... so, I am running PerfectDisk 2009 now.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
Old 03-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #75
redgum

Tingsern, that's understandable. Is that a Raid array you have set up?
O&O Defrag can handle that size and is cheaper than Diskkeeper. In fact O&O works great on Raid arrays of just about any size including those Vista x64 based which stumps most defraggers.
redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #76
tingsern

Yup - it is a RAID 0 array.

Anyway, I have no problems with PerfectDisk 2009 now - it runs beautifully on my VISTA 64 machine. So - I stick to it. And PD 2009 does not bother how large a disk is :-).
Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #77
swsw1550

O&O Defrag is also very good and well worth looking at.

Steve
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #78
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingsern View Post
My only problem with Diskeeper is that it refuses to compact my 2.5TB HDD - according to their marketing mgr, only servers has that size HDD - so I must "upgrade" my version to server version. Of course - I refuse ... so, I am running PerfectDisk 2009 now.
I believe this was true in Diskeeper 2008, but the limits changed in Diskeeper 2009, though I'm don't know the new limits offhand.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories