Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 AM   #21
SRsupport
Grass Cutter Gold

I think AVCHD is more of a pain then useful.
For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net
SRsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #22
tingsern

YES - today's processors are too slow to process AVCHD in realtime.

A compromise in the form of AVC-Intra could be useful. AVC-I compresses to 50Mbits/sec - compared with 17Mbits/sec to 21Mbits/sec for AVCHD. But, I can't see any small form product (like HPX172 / HMC152) sporting this codec - Panny claims the card runs too hot ... whatever.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
tingsern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #23
burnandreturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
An MxR Express Card reader ($70 Australian, $55 US) and Sandisk Ultra 2 SDHC 16 GB card ($69 Australian) will work perfectly in a Sony PMW EX1 or EX3. Using this card and adapter will give you 58 minutes recording in full HD (1920x1080i). If you use the Ultra 2 32, GB card recording time is double. In the EX1 (EX3) you also have 2 slots, so cheap, high quality recording is readily available. As a comparison a 16 GB SxS card would cost around 10 times as much!
I thought the Sony EX1 used the SXS cards which are as expensive as P2 cards?
burnandreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
tingsern

It is a hack. Somebody discovered that the Sony EX1 can take a SDHC card - using an adapter. But - it is not guaranteed to work everytime AND don't take your EX1 into Sony for them to check if you do that.

Having said that, IF the bit rate is low enough (how low - that's for you to figure out) - the EX1 can record into SDHC as well.

BUT, you do so at your own risk.
Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
burnandreturn

Could writing to SDHC cards damage the camera? Not sure what you meant by not taking the camera into Sony.

Or does it mean it might just not work and don't ask Sony about it not writing to the cheaper media?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #26
tingsern

Haven't heard any reports of people damaging their cameras by writing to SDHC cards ...

So - what I mean is - writing to SDHC cards are not supported by Sony. If anything do go wrong there, do so at your own risk. That's all.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
burnandreturn

I think the transfer process is faster with the P2 cards so I will go that route.
Everything seems to work easier and faster.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #28
Harro

There are no problems using the MxR adapter with the Ultra 2 SD cards. The adapter is the size of the SxS card and is inserted and removed same as the SxS card. It is used successfully by hundreds of EX1/EX3 users world-wide. Check out the hundreds of responses to it on the DV Info Net forum, or go to e-films web site for a short video on its application. Its only limitation is when you try to overcrank it to much. It is definitely a very cheap and reliable alternative to SxS cards. I have one MxR adapter and two Ultra 2 SDHC 16 GB cards, and have never encountered a problem. Before going the P2 route, check this out fully, you may be very surprised.
Harro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #29
tingsern

I don't use Sony EX1 or EX3 cameras ... Only Panasonic HVX202 and HPX172 (so far). My P2 experience has been excellent ... no problems whatsoever. Only sticker is of course the price of the P2 medium. Editing wise - EDIUS has zero problems with DVCProHD on the timeline.

Of course, you could get excellent results from Sony's cameras as well. But, I have no experience in that area.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #30
burnandreturn

How much will the transfer speed be slowed down using the adapter and SDHC cards versus P2?

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories