Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 10-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

I will say this now, that if you are purely an editor, Pegasus is not for you.

Pegasus and Intensity might look the same, but they aren't. One is for capture. The other is an editing board.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
STORMDAVE

Can you ingest with this board straight into Edius?
STORMDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

No. Capture is only possible with HQ Recorder. (or any application built with the SDK)

Files can of course be captured with HQ Recorder and then imported into EDIUS via a Watch Folder...but it's still not a direct interface.

EDIT: Oh and I need to add that while the full HQ Recorder interface is running, EDIUS cannot run – if you want to use EDIUS, you'll have to close HQ Recorder, or switch it to resident mode and minimize it in the task tray.

My understanding is that this is a result of both apps using the same overlay handling subsystem. (introduced with EDIUS v4.5)
Old 10-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I bought an Intensity card to try the HDMI input from my Sony SR7 AVCHD camera. Using the supplied MJPEG codec it produces a file that is about 40G per hour and seems to work in some way with Vegas but not Edius and is fully integrated with Premiere Pro CS3. Capture is of course real time. Trying to convert the AVCHD file with the Canopus HQ converter takes about 10 times realtime!!!! just not practical for my 2 hour event stuff. Both Vegas and EDius will recognize AVCHD on the timeline, but slowely!!! Conversion in Vegas to DV or MPEG2 for DVD is about 4 times realtime, though I have yet to do any optimization to the process. At the moment the SR7 will be good for family stuff and for this the Sony Motion Browser software is adequate.
The Blackmagic Intensity Pro card looks to have similar interfaces and several codecs available for $350.

Ron Evans

I know this is off topic, however, the mjpeg codec will work very well with Edius. I know, because I use it!!!! I use uncompressed more than the MJPG.
If you are using the file on the same machine that has the Intensity software installed, and Edius in software, it will work fine. If you are using it on another machine, such as one of mine with the NX card in it, all I did was run the intensity install disc on that machine.....even though I did not have an intensity card installed. What happens is it installs the big codec pack on to the computer. This is the important part. In order for Edius to use it, the "big" codec pack(not the downloadable codecs) has to be installed.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
No. Capture is only possible with HQ Recorder. (or any application built with the SDK)

Files can of course be captured with HQ Recorder and then imported into EDIUS via a Watch Folder...but it's still not a direct interface.

Kenneally,
Is this device a preview of things to come? Asking with the ever so much of a gleem in my eye!
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #16
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Preview of what? Ingest capability? Or the hardware itself?

At this stage, I don't see any further expansion of the Pegasus line, nor any plans for crossing over into the EDIUS line. Pegasus is very clearly not an editing board, nor an EDIUS product. It's actually more akin to the realtime MPEG boards we have.

As the product info on the Web says, the real-world application is pretty specific. I see Pegasus mainly as a hardware alternative to Camtasia and Fraps, and a means for capturing output from consoles like XBOX, PS3 and the Wii. There is in fact a bit of a niche market for this solution, particularly at a developer/press level.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #17
kwshaw1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
Preview of what? Ingest capability? Or the hardware itself?
How about a device which could encode in real time to something other than HQ, like say H.264 or VC1? Any talk at all of doing something like that?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Possibly, but nothing is imminent. While Pegasus fits the mold of previous capture+encoding boards, it's still somewhat new territory.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus