Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 05-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Bassman

Default Questions about FCB & TMPG 5

Hello,

I am a long time Edius user with 5.5 and I have recently started using TMPGenc 5 for all of my DVD and Blu-ray encoding. I wanted to ask some questions about using T5 with the FCB card to other users so here it goes.

1) How much faster is the encoding?

I have a Intel i7-920 (OC to 3.0 Mhz) and 12GB of ram. My workflow is to output a Canopus Lossless file from Edius and input into T5.
For CBR Blu-ray (no Filters) I get 1:1 encoding time.
For VBR Blu-ray (no Filters) I get 1:2 encoding time.
For CBR DVD (color correction & contour filters) I get 1:2.5 encoding time.
For CBR DVD (color correction & contour filters) I get 1:4.5 encoding time.

So with VBR DVD with filters I am at 4.5x the project length to encode the file. This is the best image quality which is what I am after (please don't suggest a lesser option :) ).

2) Will the FCB help my DVD encoding times given I have some filters in use?

3) I have a Gigabyte motherboard. I have read that there is a compatibility issue. Is there a "workaround" or am I just out of luck for the FCB?

Thanks for your input.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
MPPais

I use SpursEngine and plug-in to Edius 6.Together they d a good job. I upscale SD to HD with the option SpursEngine with a very good result. SpursEngine is fast but not more faster....With plug-in to Edius we can Print to file directly from timeline and to choose hardware (SpursEngine) or software encoders.Hardware encoder is faster than software encoder but ther's not a great difference because software and hardware encoders work in conjugation.As you can see at Forum many users don't love plug-in to Edius and they work like you do.Also I can tell you that with your workflow denoiser filter with SpursEngine do a good job (we must choose SpursEngine profile).You have trial versions SpursEngine and plug-in for Edius 5.So you can do experiences and see results by yourself.

Last edited by MPPais; 05-22-2011 at 02:34 AM.
MPPais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Ron Evans

Since you are after the best quality I would stay with the software encode. Spurs is one pass encoding and in my tests is not as good as the 2 pass VBR software encode. I use T4 with the TMPGenc Spurs plug in, FCB.

My flow is to export a HQ fine file and encode in T4. I do not apply any filters in T4 as I get the file exactly as I want in Edius so T4 is just a downconvert and encode and this is about 2.5 times realtime on my system. For Bluray I use the T4 Spurs to create an AVC file that I then author in DVD Architect ( need to change file designation to AVC). Bluray encode is about realtime or a little faster.

If you don't own FCB I would not bother.

Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Bassman

Thanks for your input Ron! I really like the results I am getting from T5 but the DVD encode times are killing me. I sent a support question to TMPG about three weeks ago and have never heard back... My CPU usage only gets up to ~20% while encoding mpeg-2 with all of the cores are not being used either.

While I do not want the program to **** up every resource, 20% is just wasting time that could be saved.

Hope your recitals are going well.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus