Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Edius and external USB-C SSD drives.

Hi.

I recently made a video showing how to put together a cheap external 1TB USB-C SSD drive. I had a few people asking would this be fast enough for video editing, so here's a video that some may find interesting as it shows an Edius edit running from the external drive.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
ulyssesvideo

As I stated in a previous post on here.... when usb 4 becomes available for pc later this year, editing using an external ssd drive will be just about the same as editing with an internal ssd drive. usb 3 was ok when it became available but really became great when portable ssd drives started to become available but when usb 3.1 was available that is where is it became so much better.
usb 4 when available.... will be fantastic for 6k or 8k footage provided that the portable ssd drive is usb4 compatible for max speed transfer and that your using excellent codecs like all-intra... and that your not using too many effects on the clips that requires extra processing from the computer.

thanks

Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 06-08-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
As I stated in a previous post on here.... when usb 4 becomes available for pc later this year, editing using an external ssd drive will be just about the same as editing with an internal ssd drive. usb 3 was ok when it became available but really became great when portable ssd drives started to become available but when usb 3.1 was available that is where is it became so much better.
usb 4 when available.... will be fantastic for 6k or 8k footage provided that the portable ssd drive is usb4 compatible for max speed transfer and that your using excellent codecs like all-intra... and that your not using too many effects on the clips that requires extra processing from the computer.

thanks
USB 4 won't make one bit of difference compared to the drive in this video.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
ulyssesvideo

I think you better read up on usb 4 buddy. much MUCH faster than use 3 or 3.1...
USB 4 is capable of speeds reaching 40 gigabits per second.
in regards to your video... usb 3 is more than plenty to handle simple editing as demonstrated on your video.
thanks

Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 06-08-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Liverpool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
I think you better read up on usb 4 buddy. much MUCH faster than use 3 or 3.1...
USB 4 is capable of speeds reaching 40 gigabits per second.

thanks
I think you need to read up more as it would appear that you don't understand the speeds of the storage devices and the bus speeds of the interfaces.

For anyone else who is interested in the numbers.

SATA 3 has a max uncoded data rate/bandwidth of 600MB/s

USB-C is minimum of Gen 1 which is 5Gb/s or is usually Gen 2 which is 10Gb/s

The fastest SATA 3 SSD will burst upto 550MB/s and sustain at a lower rate

The drive in this test sustains at about 440MB/s

Both 550MB/s and 440MB/s are lower than the minimum Gen 1 speed of USB-C

Therefore, using a faster bus, such as USB 4, with a SATA 3 SSD will not make any difference what so ever compared to using a SATA 3 SSD in a USB-C enclosure as far as maximum data rate/bandwidth with the SSD is concerned. Because the maximum data rate/bandwidth of the SSD doesn't exceed USB-C anyway.

This is why I said USB 4 won't make one bit of difference compared to the drive in this video.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
ulyssesvideo

if you buy a proper usb 4 ssd portable drive (not in a cradle) when available connected to a card designed for usb4 that connects directly into the motherboard... I think it will out perform your config....
at the end of the day.. its getting faster and better.... and your current setup in that video.. will be out of date.
yeah.. your right.... may not make ANY different in speed if you refer your video. your only right about that! ... but as video files get larger ie 6k or 8k etc... you will want a faster connection... and your config in that video may struggle a tad.

thanks
Closed Thread

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories