Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > MYNC

Old 12-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
Steady Hand

Unhappy From Mync to EDIUS bin (with little success)

Hi! I'm (as many others) trying to understand the Mync philosophy. In my primitive understanding Mync adds as a stand-alone program what EDIUS' bin lacks.
So I started to import my material into Mync, added some metadata, organized it in catalogs, but what next?
I tried these steps to make EDIUS know about the Mync stuff:
  • Export a catalog as FCP XML and import that as project in EDIUS 8. There was some odd error message, but still most or all clips seems to be imported. It seems all material has to have the same frame rate (which was not true for my catalog). Unfortunately Mync export does not create a warning, and EDIUS import only logs the errors in a CVS file located in the same directory as the XML file.
  • Create a storyboard and import that into EDIUS. Here the storyboard seems to "convert" the clips to a common frame rate. Unfortunately why importing the storyboard, I get a new sequence, but no clips in the bin. Marking all clips in the sequence and selecting "add to bin" seems to separate video and audio: If I add he clip from the bin to the timeline again, there is no audio track. Also I don't see where the metadata from Mync went to...

Despite of these problems I miss some essential functions in Mync:
  • Unified naming: Different sources use different naming conventions for clips. Some are named sequentially with or without a prefix, some include the date and time (in a variety of formats), etc. To help chronological ordering, a suitable common file/clip naming would be useful. However there is no mechanism for batch/mass renaming of clips using some user-definable rules. Outside Mync and EDIUS I can rename images and clips using exiftool with commands like these (Windows batch file):
    Code:
    exiftool "-FileName<${CreateDate}_${model;}_%%f.%%e" -d %%Y%%m%%d_%%H%%M -ext jpg %1
    exiftool "-FileName<${TrackCreateDate}_%%f.%%e" -d %%Y%%m%%d_%%H%%M -ext mp4 %1
  • Smarter smart catalogs: You cannot select still images via keywords in their metadata (just for example), and you cannot export a smart catalog like an ordinary catalog.
There are many more issues, of course, but those are enough for this thread I think.
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
antonsvideo

I don't use Mync but in the EDIUS bin, click source browser tab, then you should see a Mync entry, from source browser you can select anything you see in Mync with Add to bin

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 850 Pro SSD for System, 4 WD RE4 2TB in Raid5 for Video, Adaptec Raid Controller, 4 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
David Clarke

As Anton said you don't export an XML to get to EDIUS if it is on the same system just look in EDIUS' source browser. I did a short series of videos on an introduction to Mync you can see here:
http://www.dvctraining.co.uk/shop/An...lley-Mync.html

Re renaming: If you rename the media files only you can get into a complete mess with some formats. It will stop programs stitching long clips together and loose metadata..
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 970, BM Mini Monitor,, Windows 10
David Clarke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
Steady Hand

Lightbulb You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
(...)click source browser tab, then you should see a Mync entry, from source browser you can select anything you see in Mync with Add to bin
You are right (boldface added for more clarity): I tried a more complicated way, not knowing the right one. Unfortunately I added my clips via different (very manual) means in the meantime.
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > MYNC