Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 06-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #11
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
[KH: probably would be helpful to add this Note to what you already have in the PC3 FAQs in this forum]
Funny you should mention that - my first draft did have that clarification, but I was instructed to remove it, because it looked too much like a slam against ProCoder Express retail owners..

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
In the US, the website now says sept 30:

http://www.canopus.com/products/promotions/americas.php
Yes, but that deadline is more for the trade-in offers - not so much the upgrade offers. I would imagine, the upgrades will continue beyond Sept 30th. But then, I'm not in sales..
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
GrassValley_CP
Grass Valley

This is what I can tell you about the ProCoder 3 upgrades as dictated to me through internal New Product Release notifications and marketing releases:

1) Upgrades to ProCoder 3 are available to owners of the following products:
  • ProCoder 1.x
  • ProCoder 2.0
  • ProCoder Express for EDIUS 3.x
  • ProCoder Express for EDIUS 4.x
2) Upgrades to ProCoder 3 are not available to owners of the stand-alone retail version of ProCoder Express. I'm not sure why they were excluded, or who made that decision, but that's the way it works.

In calling your local GV/Canopus office, you should be explicit that you are looking to purchase the upgrade from ProCoder Express for EDIUS. Most salespeople will balk at those attempting to upgrade the stand-alone retail version of ProCoder Express.

3) Upgrades to ProCoder 3 from any of the above qualifying products will require ownership proof thereof, usually in the form of a serial number for the qualifying product, or a sales invoice/receipt.

There is only one ProCoder 3 upgrade product, price, SKU, product box, disk, dongle, etc. I have held the box in my hands. I also have the various internal releases and inventory reports as proof to that fact. You just need to specify and prove that you qualify for the upgrade, regardless of which product that actually is.

4) The promotion end-date of Sept. 30 listed on the Canopus website is, to the absolute best of my knowledge and ability, for the trade-up/trade-in promotion only. The EDIUS 4 and ProCoder 3 upgrade period is open-ended at this time--there is no proposed date, there is no talk around the office (that I'm aware of), nothing to indicate that the upgrades will no longer be available as of Sept. 30.

5) I cannot speak for the GV/Canopus UK office (I've met and talked to a total of 2 people from that office, so I apologize if I offend any of you with any of this) but since we received our ProCoder 3 product in house, it's been pretty clear what is eligible and available, and if we're all out, when more will arrive.

I hope this clears things up....
GrassValley_CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 AM   #13
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

My guess on #2 is simply that retail PCE was too cheap to warrant an upgrade path.

It's arguable how much value PCE for EDIUS brings to EDIUS, but EDIUS users paid an amount closer to what ProCoder and ProCoder 2 owners paid.

So it's more of a "bonus" for EDIUS owners, rather than a knock against ProCoder Express owners.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
pvideo

Default Export file options with upgrades

So what is the upgrade contained in Edius Pro v4.5 -- does it include codec improvements and other file output options, or do I need Procoder 3 for that? I am getting requests for YouTube transferable files, and I take that to mean MP4 with MP3 audio. I will upgrade to either 4.5 or Procoder 3 to get better export options.
Pam
Edius Pro v3.62
SD editing
pvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

The EDIUS v4.5 ProCoder Express for EDIUS is an evolution to the ProCoder 3 "base" but it's far from the full ProCoder 3. It just gets "on par" with the ProCoder 3 base platform enhancements.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:36 AM   #16
pvideo

So Brandon, what does that mean? Does the 4.5 version have H.264 encoding? Does it have AC3? Can we, again, make a playable DVD from the timeline?
Thanks.
Pam
pvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #17
pjsssss

I am sure Brandon will correct me if I am wrong, but no H.264 in PCE. YOu will need the full version of PC for that.

Yes is has AC3

Not only can you make a DVD from the timeline, but it will have it's own basic DVD authoring and burning program built into PCE.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 AM   #18
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

As far as I currently know (been busy, so I might've missed something), Pat is correct.

EDIUS v4.5 has AC-3 encoding, but it is not dependent on PCE for EDIUS, nor do I believe it's available in PCE for EDIUS.

So, PCE for EDIUS (v4.5) does not have H.264, nor does it have AC-3.
EDIUS v4.5, however, can output AC-3 from the timeline - it does this through a native exporter.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #19
Zorro

Quote:
I am sure Brandon will correct me if I am wrong, but no H.264 in PCE.
Please correct me if I am wrong but I'm quite sure that PCE can do H.264 when Quicktime 7 is installed. You have to choose QT output and then select H.264. Haven't done it in a while, though...
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #20
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

This is correct - it uses QuickTime's MP4 wrapper.

The limitation is that QuickTime still does not yet support encoding of High Profile H.264. This restricts it from creating streams compatible with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. QT's flavour of H.264 is more for portable video devices (iPod).
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder