Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
GuyS

Default Canopus avi - advantageous or not

Is there any advantage to using the "Canopus avi". I use a Firestore to capture SD clips. The FSC 60 has a file input choice that is Canopus specific. I also use Scenalyser quite a bit to capture footage. One of the choices of file types is Canopus there as well.
Problem is I have found that other NLE's (Mac computers is what I have tried) can not use the Canopus specific avi files that I have created. Also I recently purchased a WD HD media player. This device plays back to a TV files that are on a external USB hard drive. No computer is required. However, the WD player won't play back "Canopus avi" files.
Is there any advantage to creating Canopus files?
GuyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
pjsssss

If you are moving between devices, I would say no. When it first came out, I think the codec difference was noticeable, but not now. Even most of the GV specific stuff now uses HQ.
pjsssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Watermoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsssss View Post
If you are moving between devices, I would say no. When it first came out, I think the codec difference was noticeable, but not now. Even most of the GV specific stuff now uses HQ.
I think he was refering to a finalizing format. Canopus HQ is an intermediate codec which is good for use when editing not so much authoring because of lack of support. like you are experiencing with your WD HD player.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
GuyS

Upon further use, looks like the WD TV media player does not play all avi files anyway. It will only play avi files that use "mpeg4, AVC and WMV3" codecs. A bit of a disappointment to me since I wanted to use it for reviewing SD files I have stored on an external USB drive.
However it does quite happily play HD files circumventing the situation where a client or friend does not have a blu-ray player.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Scott Chapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyS View Post
It will only play avi files that use "mpeg4, AVC and WMV3" codecs.
Those are not avi files, are they? Like mpeg1, mpeg 2, and so on, avi is its own general format.

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6700 at 2.66Ghz, Intel® Desktop Board DP35DP,
6GB DDR2/800 DIMMS, 1TB RAID-0 7,200 RPM,
GeForce 9600GT PCIe 1024MB
Scott Chapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
GuyS

This is testing the extent of my knowledge so I might be wrong or right here. Apparently avi is just a "wrapper". The codec within the file is what determines whether or not the WD HD media player ..can play it. I believe that means that "mpeg4, AVC and WMV3" are the codecs that must be within the "wrapper".
Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Scott Chapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyS View Post
This is testing the extent of my knowledge so I might be wrong or right here. Apparently avi is just a "wrapper". The codec within the file is what determines whether or not the WD HD media player ..can play it. I believe that means that "mpeg4, AVC and WMV3" are the codecs that must be within the "wrapper".
Well yes and no. MPEG, AVC and mwv codecs are totally different. They are highly compressed. An avi file (and now I'm stressing the limits of my knowledge) are about 4 times as large. That's why you can get about 2 hours of mpeg video on a 4.37GB DVD, but an avi would take up about 25 GB.

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6700 at 2.66Ghz, Intel® Desktop Board DP35DP,
6GB DDR2/800 DIMMS, 1TB RAID-0 7,200 RPM,
GeForce 9600GT PCIe 1024MB
Scott Chapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

AVI, MOV and MXF are containers - they don't imply any particular compression format (codec) in particular.

MPEG and WMV, on the other hand, are compression formats unto themselves, and they're formats that can exist un-wrapped.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
sunflow

With WM the best way is to export out to mpeg programmed stream. co's i used my for sameday edit display for hd scaled down to 1440x720 using Edius software conversion for sameday edit.
sunflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

I'm confused by your comment there... Windows Media and MPEG Program Streams are two different compression types.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS