Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus

Old 01-15-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Red Union Films
Banned

Default Firecoder quality v Edius 6 and audio outputs.

Hi all.

I normaly use X264 for my Blu-ray encodes, but I have a job where I have to create a lot of discs with the same content on but with a unique watermark per disc. As X264 will take far to long to do this, Firecoder would seem like a good option. I know the quality will not match X264, but speed is more the key for this job. Could anyone help me with the following questions.

1. What is the picture quality like on Firecoder exports compared to the new H264 encoder in Edius 6. As in like for like bitrates at around the 20Mbit mark. I am not so bothered if the quality drops too much at lower bitrates, as I will not be doing anything above 2 hours.

2. There seems to be some question as to wether or not FCB does allow for 6 channel audio encoding with AC3, can someone from GV confirm this, maybe Big Brain Brandon:) Doing a demux of the M2TS file and then remuxing with an already prepared 6 channel AC3 file is of no use to me. As I need to take full advantage of direct to disc from timeline workflow, for the ease of use and speed.

3. If it can't do multi AC3, can it do 6 channel LPCM?

4. If I can't do what I need with this workflow, can anyone suggest another route. It would have to be hardware acceloration around the speed of FCB, able to insert watermark, and able to use the HQ and possibly HQX codecs. I do not need menu options at all, just first play object.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Sorry, I have little knowledge on the intricacies of FCB.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Red Union Films
Banned

Thanks anyway Brandon. Maybe these are questions for day in day out FCB users.

Dave.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Bluetongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Union Films View Post
Hi all.

I normaly use X264 for my Blu-ray encodes, but I have a job where I have to create a lot of discs with the same content on but with a unique watermark per disc. As X264 will take far to long to do this, Firecoder would seem like a good option. I know the quality will not match X264, but speed is more the key for this job. Could anyone help me with the following questions.

1. What is the picture quality like on Firecoder exports compared to the new H264 encoder in Edius 6. As in like for like bitrates at around the 20Mbit mark. I am not so bothered if the quality drops too much at lower bitrates, as I will not be doing anything above 2 hours.

2. There seems to be some question as to wether or not FCB does allow for 6 channel audio encoding with AC3, can someone from GV confirm this, maybe Big Brain Brandon:) Doing a demux of the M2TS file and then remuxing with an already prepared 6 channel AC3 file is of no use to me. As I need to take full advantage of direct to disc from timeline workflow, for the ease of use and speed.

3. If it can't do multi AC3, can it do 6 channel LPCM?

4. If I can't do what I need with this workflow, can anyone suggest another route. It would have to be hardware acceloration around the speed of FCB, able to insert watermark, and able to use the HQ and possibly HQX codecs. I do not need menu options at all, just first play object.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave.
Dave
1) no different but really fast encoding with Firecoder, about 20x faster than from Edius on my system, details below, MAX bit rate direct from E6 through Firecoder or Firewriter is 23.9Mhz Edius will export up to 37 Mb the video from a Blueray encoded with Firecoder is pristine except occasional fluttering on X fades, no one but me notices so I wonder if it is me
2) NO 2 Channel only
3) NO 2 Channel only
4) Export the audio only from Edius, use TSmuxer to strip the audio from the video and replace the audio in the Authoring tool seems a good way, I have no experience in multichannel audio so take the advice as only a possibility I use only 2 ch stereo and am not looking to go further as that is all that community Tv require
Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi Barry.

Thanks for all the info, it's a great help. Based on your info I think I may have to give it a miss. If I have to do any de and re-muxing then use a seperate authoring app, then it will take too long. Plus I need to just hit go and come back to a finished disc, this is one of the brilliant things in Edius.

The idea is to have a project with, one video track, 6 audio tracks, and one title track, of a 2 hour film, set up for Blu-ray output with no menu. The title will hold a watermark, and many discs will be run off with the exact same content but with the watermark/ID number changing for each one. It's basicly private screening copies. So as you can see, anything other than direct from timeline is going to involve having to come back to the workstation and then do muxing etc. and authoring. I know this is neither hard to do or takes up too much time. But with the amount of run offs we will have to do, the 3 part process is not good for us, and with the templated Edius route being so easy, anyone in the studio can do it withought knowledge off muxing etc.

Cheers mate.

Dave.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
GrassValley_SL

I am going to install a firecoder in a system because I think there is a better flow. I have to look at it again because I have to remember so much stuff with EDIUS and hardware I could have it wrong. :)

Give me a day.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
GrassValley_SL

You can use firecoder writer which takes out the remuxing.
While writing you can recode the second stream.
I think this is actually what you want.

(I have to check this again)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 01-15-2011 at 04:51 PM.
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
Red Union Films
Banned

Hi Steve.

If you could check that would be great as my business partner has already orderd one. Either way it will be useful even if not for this job.

Cheers.

Dave.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus