Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
msvideo

Default Project framerate locked after project creation + cannot import sequence or EDL

Probably the single most frustrating limitation in Edius for many years is the project frame rate being locked at the time of creation and cannot later be changed. Thus forcing a new project creation and loss of all time/ work gone into a project. Also meaning, template projects cant be used across different framerates.

Potential workarounds fail with errors:-
  • Import sequences with a different framerate gives a framerate error
  • Import EDL or AAF with a different framerate gives a framerate error
The only workaround I can think of is rendering out tracks which can be imported into the new project.

In a current scenario I only want to audio assets on an existing PAL 50i timeline/ template project to also be used on a new NTSC 59.97i project/ timeline. Lots of nodes and adjustments on each audio file which would take hours to create again.

Has anyone found any workaround other than rendering?
msvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Geoff_C

Have you tried google?

https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26047

Solution on page 2

Best of luck G
Geoff_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
msvideo

Yes have searched and looked at numerous threads this time and previous times.

I see 15 posts on 1 page, with my forum settings. Which post are you referring to being a solution?
Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
Geoff_C

If you have Vegas available the timeline framerate can be changed. Video looks OK but there will be a change in 'audio' pitch which can be corrected in say audition. Either way there is further work to be done.

Last edited by Geoff_C; 10-25-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Geoff_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvideo View Post
Yes have searched and looked at numerous threads this time and previous times.

I see 15 posts on 1 page, with my forum settings. Which post are you referring to being a solution?
Alchemist for 50K ?
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
msvideo

mmn post #15 mentions "Unfortunately, this process does not work for going between PAL and NTSC, as the speed differences are too much."

Regardless of the above, its not relevant or an appealing workaround for my current scenario but will bear in mind for future.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
David Clarke

What the Op is talking about is changing the frame rate of the project not changing the results.

I had a long chat with Alex about this at IBC and he made me realise it is not as simple as changing the number in the frame rate box. What happens to markers and other items that are on specific frames, for example?

When I think of this I mainly think about changing from 25P to 50P which sounds easy (either double everything up or halve it) but you have to program it to go from anything to anything - 50P to 23.98 for example. You might say "I am not that bothered about markers" but there were lots of other things he mentioned but I can't recall them right now. What I do know is that in reality it was harder to do that I thought.

My thoughts are that I would rather have the ability and deal with any inconsistencies in what happens as a result.

EDIUS is not the only program where you can't change the basic frame rate - it is the same in Resolve and Avid. Vegas and Premiere Pro CC do let you change it.

The only way I have done this in the past is to export an AAF to Avid or Premiere, then change the frame rate of the timeline there, and export an XML file back to EDIUS. Mainly I use Premiere as my copy of Vegas is old. It works most of the time.

Of course, I do own versions of Premiere and Vegas, even though my preferred editor is EDIUS. You could get a trial version of these to do a one off conversion because the trial would work for at least 7 days.

I use an XML because EDIUS will import an XML file which contains clips of different frame rates. The frame rate of the XML has to match the frame rate of the EDIUS project, but the clips can be different.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
mattie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
.....My thoughts are that I would rather have the ability and deal with any inconsistencies in what happens as a result.
I think most editors would echo this sentiment also. A half baked solution is better than NO solution
mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 AM   #9
SoundFreak_HD

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie View Post
I think most editors would echo this sentiment also. A half baked solution is better than NO solution
I personally would love to see 50i to 50p

That and ASIO support would make Edius complete for me.

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:30 AM   #10
msvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
What the Op is talking about is changing the frame rate of the project not changing the results.

I had a long chat with Alex about this at IBC and he made me realise it is not as simple as changing the number in the frame rate box. What happens to markers and other items that are on specific frames, for example?

When I think of this I mainly think about changing from 25P to 50P which sounds easy (either double everything up or halve it) but you have to program it to go from anything to anything - 50P to 23.98 for example. You might say "I am not that bothered about markers" but there were lots of other things he mentioned but I can't recall them right now. What I do know is that in reality it was harder to do that I thought.

My thoughts are that I would rather have the ability and deal with any inconsistencies in what happens as a result.

EDIUS is not the only program where you can't change the basic frame rate - it is the same in Resolve and Avid. Vegas and Premiere Pro CC do let you change it.

The only way I have done this in the past is to export an AAF to Avid or Premiere, then change the frame rate of the timeline there, and export an XML file back to EDIUS. Mainly I use Premiere as my copy of Vegas is old. It works most of the time.

Of course, I do own versions of Premiere and Vegas, even though my preferred editor is EDIUS. You could get a trial version of these to do a one off conversion because the trial would work for at least 7 days.

I use an XML because EDIUS will import an XML file which contains clips of different frame rates. The frame rate of the XML has to match the frame rate of the EDIUS project, but the clips can be different.
Thanks for your input David. I tried via Premiere Pro and the round trip worked albeit audio clips were all Left or Right panned instead of Centre when imported back into Edius.

I also tried via Vegas: Edius AAF imports fine, but every-time I tried to export out of Vegas to XML or any of the other options, the export fails at 92% and aborts.

If only Alex and co at GV were fully aware of the extensive time so many users and businesses waste on this. I share the sentiment that some functionality to change the framerate with limitations would be better than no option at all.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS