Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
bhouse

Thumbs down Check Out/Check In problem

HI,
I'm running Edius 6.54 on a desktop machine and a laptop.
I recently had to carry out some editing while away from base, so checked out the current project following the instructions. I elected to have hi-res files that were used in the active sequences.

I edited them successfully on the laptop making many changes including edits and importing new After Effects AVI files (backgrounds for green screen etc).

When I came to check in to the desktop machine, I copied all the project folders from the laptop to a portable hard drive, shut down the laptop then booted up the desktop system, connected the external drive, opened Edius as normal and chose to check in the project I had been working on.

The process seemed to be going well (estaimated time for completion about 20 minutes) but the PC then suffered a BSOD.

I booted into safe mode, then rebooted as normal.
On opening Edius, it asked for the project file storage directory - it has always known where it is until now.
I tried to import the project file and received a message saying "Cannot open the project file. (0x8007000d)"
I opened the project file on the external drive and had a message saying it was read only. It opened the project but some files are (quite reasonably) referenced from the external drive and many other files are simply missing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can sort this out?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Last edited by bhouse; 07-12-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spelling...
bhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
trillium

save the read only project file to a new name and save and you can edit it
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
bhouse

Hi Trillium,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've tried that and the files are still all over the place: some on the original media drive, some on the eternal drive, some seem to be unknown...

Last edited by bhouse; 07-12-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
antonsvideo

what do you mean by check out/check in?

just open the project

as long as all clips are on the external disk, all should be well

I make it a point to keep all assets that belong to a project inside the project folder

so if I need some stills or a piece of music, I first copy these to the project folder and then load them to the bin, here are all the folders I create with every new project

also, because you suffered a BSOD, you need to manually delete the lock file (as seen in screenshot)

this formula makes backup simple

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
GrassValley_PS

He was doing field editing. It sounds like you crashed before all the files were copied over, so some are pointing to the original files and some to the laptop.. After the checkout, did you work in Proxy mode at all? Since you copied the files to the laptop, did you relink all of the field to those?
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10

Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 07-13-2013 at 12:29 PM.
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
bhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
He was doing field editing. It sounds like you crashed before all the files were copied over, so some are pointing to the original files and some to the laptop.. After the checkout, did you work in Proxy mode at all? Since you copied the files to the laptop, did you relinking all of the field to those?
Yes - field editing.

I did not work in proxy mode - all files were original resolution.
I am unable to open the original (desktop) project file and it does not have an associated '.lock' file.
After the BSOD incident, I had to tell Edius where projects are stored and the recent projects list (on startup) is empty.

I don't want to continue with some files on external drive and some on the desktop system as that will make future edits of this programme (it's a series of 26 x 5 minute videos to be released over 6 months) a nightmare.

Yes I may be able to relink or recopy/reimport files, but there appear to be about 500 that have gone missing and I'm keen to find a faster solution.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far - keep 'em coming!
Brian
Old 07-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
vortigern

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonsvideo View Post
what do you mean by check out/check in?

just open the project

as long as all clips are on the external disk, all should be well

I make it a point to keep all assets that belong to a project inside the project folder

so if I need some stills or a piece of music, I first copy these to the project folder and then load them to the bin, here are all the folders I create with every new project

also, because you suffered a BSOD, you need to manually delete the lock file (as seen in screenshot)

this formula makes backup simple
Anton are these separate foldes made under "windows" new folder in the project or folders made in "the bin of Edius"?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
bhouse

This is all about field editing and check out/check in.
When you check a project out for field editing, Edius collects the required files and asks for a destination in whcih to save them. As I would be working on a laptop, I saved the files to an external drive.
Away from base, I then used the laptop to edit the 'checked out' project using the files on the external hard drive.
On my return to base, I connected the external hard drive to the desktop machine and chose 'check in'. Towards teh end of the ensuing file copy process, the PC had a BSOD moment.

Since then, on opening Edius the 'recent projects' folder is empty, and if I try to open the original (desktop) project file, I get an 'unable to open' message.
I can open the project file on the external hard drive, but it references the files on the external drive, not the PC internal drive. I need to get back to the desktop version as the project contains many sequences I did not check out (as I knew I would not need to edit them while I was away).

I've tried opening one of the auto-save files on the PC but it will not accept the laptop project as a 'check in' candidate (which is perfectly reasonable as it is not the file that was checked out).

The only workaround I can think of is to import sequences from the external drive. A quick experiment with a text project suggests I will end up with a very messy project with quite a few duplicates. As the data in the project already exceeds 1TB the fewer duplications the better!
Brian
Old 07-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #9
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortigern View Post
Anton are these separate foldes made under "windows" new folder in the project or folders made in "the bin of Edius"?
I make the folders with windows explorer inside the project folder, this is the first thing I do after starting new project and clicking save

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro
Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #10
antonsvideo

I think when using check out/checkin, there should be no video clips at all transferred when checking in, because the original clips are already there

there must be something wrong with the whole check out/check in thing, it should really use just low quality proxy files and not the full res original files

I have no reliability issues when copying a whole project folder to an external drive and then using it in a laptop

then when the edit in laptop is done, I only copy/paste changed files to the desktop, these will be only the ezp and titles and maybe still frames I created, takes seconds to do

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS