Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Jetfire2k

Default ADVC 55 and firewire 800

I have a MacBook Pro and am looking at getting an ADVC 55 or 110. My MacBook Pro has a firewire 800 port and I'm wondering if I would need the power adapter for the 55 at all, if I do I'll just get the ADVC 110 probably.

I'm planning to archive old videos through iMovie. I don't need the analog output of the ADVC 110
Jetfire2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

If your MacBook Pro can power bus-powered Firewire hard-drives and such, then it should be OK, as long as the FW400-FW800 converter you use supplies power on the FW400 side.

If you're on the fence between the 55 and 110, I usually tell people to get the 110 because it'll let you view your output on a real TV. What you see on the computer screen can get close, but never is 100% exact to what you'll get on the TV at output.

Even though you're planning just to archive and not play back the videos, the output side would still be useful for making accurate color adjustments and edits for when you do put the video on DVD or whatever to view on a TV.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
gregfranklin

I'm having a similar problem...

Here's my setup ---

Composite video cable out (yellow, white, red) from my HDTV to the ADVC-55... then a FireWire 400 to 800 cable (quality cable, from Monoprice.com) into my MacBook Pro (unibody, which only has FW800).

The converter shows the Red "no signal" light and of course, I'm not able to record any video through iMovie or QuickTime Player.

My theories...

1. Do I need to get an AC Adapter for the converter? It seems like the FW800 port would power it, but I could be wrong.

2. Is the High-Def origin signal a problem? I doubt it, as I've tried both my cable box and output from my TV and I assume it down-converts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
gregfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

1. Possibly, often times converters don't carry the power over.
2. Make sure the units downconvert - otherwise there will be no signal to capture on the composite input.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
gregfranklin

Thanks for the help. What kind of AC adapter do I need for the 55 and where's the best place to get it? Will any adapter do? Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
GrassValley_CP
Grass Valley

There is a specific power supply available that you should use; use of any other power supply is not recommended, and any damaged resulting from the use of an unauthorized power supply will void your warranty.

Where in California are you located? I can direct you to a reseller (online or otherwise) that carries the power supply. List price is $40; you can probably get it for a few dollars cheaper.
GrassValley_CP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
gregfranklin

Los Angeles area, though I'm always up for ordering online, where things are often cheaper. Thanks for the help
Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
GrassValley_CP
Grass Valley

Try DV411, in Culver City. They regularly buy and stock the power supply for the ADVC-55/ADVC-110. Even the best and lowest priced online reseller will only save you $2 or $3.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
mwe1951

Default ADVC-55, MacBook Pro

Perhaps I too need an AC adapter. I've connected an ADVC-55 (just out of the box) to my MacBook Pro with a 400 to 800 firewire, using iMovie '09, trying to convert a VHS tape (visa red/white/yellow cable from VCR OUT of player). ADVC-55 status light is red, and iMovie shows "No matching video." Tried clicking the camera import icon, which brought up an "Import From: ADVC-55 (DV)" window, but it wouldn't import. Suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance!
mwe1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
GrassValley_CP
Grass Valley

Yes, you more than likely need the optional power supply. Many laptops do not supply bus power (power over FireWire), or maybe not enough power in this instance.

If that still doesn't solve the problem, then a call to GV Tech Support is in order.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC