Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
BSkaper

Default Cannot Import From Sony EX1

I've recently purchased a Sony EX1 and can't seem to get clips to register to bin. I'm using Edius 5.5 on a Windows XP system. The process I'm following is:

1. Copy clips to local drive using ClipBrowser (Simply Choose "Copy All" and copy the clips to the folder I want to use on my local AV drive)
2. Open Edius, Choose "Capture>XDCAM Select
3. Choose "Local Folder" and try to add a location (right click on location) - this brings up the browse window and I can navigate to the folder where clips have been copied but the button to actually add the location is grayed out and can't be clicked on. My only option ever is "Cancel".
4. If I close this window - no local folders accessible and the register to bin button is grayed out. Again, my only choice is cancel.

I have also tried to capture directly from the SXS card using the card reader but the utility doesn't recognize the SXS Card Reader as a connected XDCAM device.

I have navigated directly to the individual clips using the "Add File to Bin" feature in Edius and can get directly to the individual MP4 file for each clip, add it to the bin and edit with it. But to do that for an entire project with several cards, and each card holding over 100 individual clips seems like a painful solution to something that should be a lot easier!

The documentation is no help at all - followed the steps literally with someone reading them aloud step by step and get the same result. Any idea what might be going on?
BSkaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
antonsvideo

I don't use XDSelect at all because Windows Explorer is faster in my case

1. create folder inside project folder called HD Clips

2. copy MXF video files from XDCAM source to HD Clips folder

3. In Edius, right click root bin and choose open folder, select HD Clips folder

with XDSelect, you can add all source clips to bin with copy and register, however this creates a unique folder per clip and takes longer

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Vidit

The process might be easier than you thimk.

1. Open an Edius project.
2. Open Sony Clip Browser from within Edius,
EDIUS, Tools, XDCAM EX Clip Browser
3. Find your EX1 clips in the clip browser.
4. Drag the clip(s) into the Edius bin. Ready!

Hope this will help you.

Lennart Schultz
Vidit
Vidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
mattie

EX1 files are XDCAM EX - the xdselect is for XDCAM HD files which are not the same as EX files.

Your files are .MP4 and the XDCAM HD files are .MXP

you simply need to drag and drop the clips directly from the sony clip browser applicaiton into your edius bin.
mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
GrassValley_MD
Mike Downey... The Jollymon

The proper way to do this is as stated above... Open EDIUS and then open the ex browser and then pick your clips from there.

and also as stated above XDCam select will not work with EX because they are not the same :)
GrassValley_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
chec

I have Edius complaining and refusing to drop EX1 clips that span multiple files. What is the cause of this. I remember years ago when it worked. Just the biggest nuisance.
chec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
pbskasaa

Default what about the MPEG 4 / AVC H.264 footage from HXR NX 5

Hi GrassValley and all forum users

I am from nepal (PAL country). I am going to purchase SONY HXR - NX 5U soon.This will be my first tapeless camera. I am using EDIUS 5.
Can someone tell me the procedure to bring the footage captured by NX 5 in HD format?
Does it need to convert by AVCHD2HQ from MPEG 4 / AVCHD to CANOPUS HIGH QUALITY AVI ?
Or I can copy and paste into my HDD and bring them directly into the bin and edit?
Will this play in realtime?
What would be the PC specification needed for Full HD editing?
Sorry for many questions. I hope your help will continue.Thank you.

Regards
Pabitra Kasaa
pbskasaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chec View Post
I have Edius complaining and refusing to drop EX1 clips that span multiple files. What is the cause of this. I remember years ago when it worked. Just the biggest nuisance.
Edius works extremely well with EXCam files.
ALWAYS use the Sony EXCam Clip Browser to copy files from card to drives. This assures proper file structure AND combines spanned files.
ALWAYS use the Sony EXCam Clip Browser to drag & drop into the Bin.
Edius reads the .xml files and instantly combines the associated files to appear as contiguous files. This method also retains the file metadata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbskasaa View Post
I am going to purchase SONY HXR - NX 5U soon.This will be my first tapeless camera. I am using EDIUS 5.
Can someone tell me the procedure to bring the footage captured by NX 5 in HD format?
Does it need to convert by AVCHD2HQ from MPEG 4 / AVCHD to CANOPUS HIGH QUALITY AVI ?
Or I can copy and paste into my HDD and bring them directly into the bin and edit?

Regards
Pabitra Kasaa
Too many questions for one post!
With this camera, ALWAYS use the Sony software to transfer files from cards! (I have a client that refuses and his edits suffer)

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Last edited by Rusty; 01-28-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Ron Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbskasaa View Post
Hi GrassValley and all forum users

I am from nepal (PAL country). I am going to purchase SONY HXR - NX 5U soon.This will be my first tapeless camera. I am using EDIUS 5.

Regards
Pabitra Kasaa
Use the Sony Content Management Utility that comes with the NX5 to transfer the files to the computer. This will ensure that clips that span the FAT32 file limit will be joined together correctly without any errors. The utility will also rename the files to the date and time the clip was taken ( something like 201301260820.m2ts ). I usually then backup these files before I start to edit. You have no tape to fall back on with file based camcorders so a backup process is essential before you delete files from the camcorder. I make sure the files play correctly and are backup up before deleting from the camcorder for the next shoot.

Once the files are on the computer they can be dropped into the bin just like any other file. You can see my PC spec in my signature which will edit 4 tracks of native AVCHD files just fine. Any of the newer Intel processors will work but editing native AVCHD does need a powerful PC.

Upgrading to Edius 6 will give you the advantage of using Quick Sync encoding if you need to encode for Bluray with h264. I have Edius 5 on another AMD 6 core PC that will also edit AVCHD native so there is no need to convert if the PC is powerful enough.

Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 9.5 WG, Vegas 17, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
GrassValley_PS

While I certainly agree with Rusty and Ron on noting that using the Sony software works well and covers most cases in a Production environment (which is probably your case), I want to add a clarification.

This might not be the best solution in some Broadcast cases. EX files work just fine in the Source Browser. (I believe the NX5 shoots AVCHD and if so, it will show up under Removable Media). People use it daily at TV Stations and it allows the editor to go ahead and start editing while the files are still be copied over.
Main System: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB , GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, Corsair AX1200i PS, Phanteks Luxe Case, 16TB RAID (4)HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB, Corsair H115i CPU Cooler, AJA Kona 4, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Win 10
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS