Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
erik

Default HD edit vs SD

Hi all

when i look for a new HW configuration for my edit station
what should i look to support HD vs only SD edit in real time? is it relate to the PC CPU, Video card, spasific disks?

what should be teh diffrences in configuration between a station ready to edit in SD and a station ready to edit in HD (both in real time)?

thx in advance
erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
dpalomaki

In general the bigger and faster the better. HD requires more processing resources, memory, and storage than SD. The more effects, streams, and layers in your video the more processing power, storage, and storage speed you need.

See the Grass Valley recommendations at:
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/edius_6
as a starting point. That refects the minimums and may not provide the performance level you want, especially if editing as a profession.

Also check the signature lines or profiles of many of the regulars here to get a feel for what they are using. This topic has been covered in a number of threads, browse for detrails.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
col lamb

You need to be looking for a system that can handle native AVCHD video files. By native I mean files exactly as they are recorded and not transcoded as is the case on a MAC where they are transcoded into AIC format files.

My signature details my own system but to replicate it would be quite costly, new Intel processors are now available called SandyBridge and they offer far better value for money but they are not yet fully proven in editing systems, another month or two should get some very real feedback on the first systems built.

Search the threads here for PC system specs as there have been plently of posts over the last six months.

Good luck
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
col lamb

Tony

I read into Erik's post that he wanted advice about HD, now to me HD is now AVCHD.

Almost any reasonable specified PC will handle SD and HDV video but AVCHD is another matter.

Why would someone upgrade their PC or buy a new edit system that is not capable of editing what is becoming the dominant format?

Erik, I do not know PC component prices in Isreal but there are other posts about guys building a AVCHD edit PC for less the $1000, in the UK we can do the same for £1000, a motherboard, RAM and 6Gb memory will cost us c£600.

If you only work in SD and your edit system works OK then at present I would not spend any money on it.

If you are considering a new camcorder if not now then in the next year of so then do get a PC or upgrade your existing one to a system that can natively edit the video produced by the camcorder.

If you do a search on this forum for PC specifications for AVCHD editing you will find many posts giving full details of systems.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
dpalomaki

SoundFreak has the right idea. First define your requirement and concept of operations or business plan. Don't forget to consider how long you intend to stick with the Edit PC you select, and your financials. Prioritize your requirement - what is essential, what is important, and what is nice to have.

With that as a guide, start your solution selection process.

A cutting edge PC will run $5000 or more, but what was cutting edge a year ago is quite possibly under $1000 today.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
erik

Default thx to all for your answers - i now have a better idea what to look for

thx to all for your answers - i now have a better idea what to look for
erik is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories