Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder

Old 12-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #11
SoundFreak_HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch TV View Post
Sound Freak this is the just awesome information and yes I did see your comments about how PC3 has been caught up by Edius.

I am using Sony EX1 and Canon XF300 cameras.

Its interesting what you say about Super Fine producing jagged edges. mmm Ok I will do a few tests (gee I am sick of doing all these tests!) and see what looks best.
Your EX1 has quote some fine detail, if you experience jaggies etc try a normal encode, don't use blur filters etc, that will destroy you image :)

Quote:
Is it fair to say that using the Super fine is a bit like doing a dual pass encode?
2 Pass VBR is to have a better distribution of allocated bits, bytes and what ever you name it.
If your program material is very long (like some of us) then using VBR 2 pass encoding will enable you to sort of save "space", it actually doesn't save space but it lowers the bit rate i.e. dark or black scenes and allocate the maximum where high detail motion is present.

Keep in mind that when program martial that is short, when the same maximum bitrate is used for VBR & CBR the files should have identical image quality, except the 2 pass VBR will take much longer, hence only with long material there are gains.

Also CBR is a bit more search friendly on media players, but all in all not that much different, I tend to go for CBR when possible (personal pref)

Quote:
My 2nd last question is I am hoping to be able to export and then import timeline markers so that what ever Authoring software I choose can import those markers (saves heaps of time).

Even better still what about being able to name the markers in Edius and then those names appear on the authoring menu.

My Final Cut friend asked me about this the other day and I said mmmm i don't think its possible with Edius. This would be a smart move for Grass Valley to improve on (that's if its not already possible).
Edius is an standalone NLE, FCP (studio, not X) or CS are suites and the integration is much better, but as many know by first hand experience, its also prone to stability issues.
Normally DO it ALL apps are like that, that why some old time users (myself included) hope that Edius stays Edius and doesn't become bloatware, hence the simple burning is enough (programming time spend).

Edius has a simple burn to disc feature that for quick and dirty work is doing fine, don't ask much, don't get much.

I feel that file names are only a very small part of extra work when going to a third party authoring app.
You can export Edius marker list, using a third party free app made by a German Edius users and just rename the file extension to the format that i.e. AW4 uses, very quick, very painless.
The marker names how ever you need to copy and paste, or re-type :)

Quote:

I love Edius and give it a 10 for editing and speed but the DVD authoring side of it is child like. People may respond to these comments by saying "Just use another authoring program" but the fact is time is money and I am a one man show here being cameraman/editor/account person etc etc.

I SIMPLY DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO USE ANOTHER PROGRAM TO DO AUTHORING!

Grass Valley please improve Burn to Disc to industry standard.
You have to be fair to Edius in the way that Edius is a NLE, same as FCP or PP, they only can edit NOT author (properly) they have integrated app in their suite, and yes, we Edius users hear you, and agree to some extend :)

I feel you have to ask yourself the question WHY do i need an authoring app while Edius can burn to disc ?

What will your answer be when you have CS5 suite and Encore can't do what you want, need ? look at a Third party app right ?

For many of us the extra steps to export from Edius to external apps are worth the effort, for some of us it's not.
Even when using the competitors suite's, some things are automated, small things, you still have to do the hard work to make all the rest !

I normally have several output formats from my edits so for me to use a Third party app for Encoding and authoring does make a bit of sense.
Am I using over the top Menu's, no, mostly are custom repeated template, simple, but Edius can't do it.

Encoding, Edius is great, especially for MpegHD, but even MpegSD is greatly improved and very usable, if you are not a Quality Freak, it's totally fine, third party encoders don't always do better !
I can only vouch for T5 as a Swiss army knife as Anton like's to call it, it has converted / repaired some files that Edius could not (not yet) read at that time.

If you don't want the extra steps and much extra time spend (depending on complexity of wishes), use the Edius build in Exporter and Burner, no shame there ......................

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Jerry

I still use PC3 and get great results. It is all in the settings. Granted, Edius exporter has caught up to a point, but dual pass vbr is still high on my list of features that I need.
PC3 is slower, but with the right settings can still get really excellent images.
Now that Edius is down converting better, it is one step less to think about.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #13
Red Union Films
Banned

Normally DO it ALL apps are like that, that why some old time users (myself included) hope that Edius stays Edius and doesn't become bloatware, hence the simple burning is enough (programming time spend).

Could not agree more.

PC3 may be dated, but feeding it high quality SD inputs for DVD encoding, it is still fantastic. These days, most MPEG encoders look very similar when encoding at proper higher bitrates from high quality SD source files. If you are using HD sources, then filters etc. are what will make the difference. In this case, then things are not that equal, but this does not realy have anything much to do with actual encoder engine.

Cheers.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 AM   #14
Hutch TV

Default Procoder 3 best settings

Hi Jerry

Would you be kind enough to share your settings?

I need to convert to as good a MPEG 2 as I can get for DVD via procoder 3. That's really all I need Procoder for and as I said I did a 2 pass VBR and couldnt see any improvement over a "burn to disc" from Edius.

What do you guys think about doing a 25 Megabit MPEG file from Edius timeline as apposed to Canops HQ or a HDV file. Does it really make a difference?

Thanks alot. The jury is out on all of this for me.

Martin
Australia
Hutch TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #15
Hutch TV

Default HD files in SD timelines convert better?

Just a question about why convert HD files via SD timelines?

So you guys are sure that this gives a better result/

So are you shooting and editing in HD, exporting a HD clip then bringing that clip into a SD timeline and then making the MPEG for DVD?

Sorry I ahvent properlly read Antons blurb on all this and will do so but I'm just trying to get my head round it all.

Martin.
Hutch TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #16
Andrzej
Banned

Quote:

What do you guys think about doing a 25 Megabit MPEG file from Edius timeline as apposed to Canops HQ or a HDV file. Does it really make a difference?

Thanks alot. The jury is out on all of this for me.

Martin
Australia
Stick with HQ for HD exports and Canopus Lossless for SD.

HQ for SD softens picture (when previewing on HD monitor)- it was not designed for SD footage- bitrate is to low even at highest settings.
Andrzej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #17
tryingtolearn

So "Super Fine" is the highest quality setting for MP4?
tryingtolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ProCoder