Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
balth_dire

Default HDMI Capture with HDstorm

Hello all,

I need something clarified. I understand that the HDMI input on the HDstorm is only able to support HDMI upto revision 1.1, does this mean that one would not be able to capture footage from any camcorder that supports an HDMI revision of 1.2 or above (such as the Sony cx11e or Canon HG21?).

Can anyone who has this card and is using it with a camcorder to capture video using the HDMI input - or has had experience in doing so - please state which camcorder they used or are using.

I know the answers may be obvious, but my knowledge of HDMI is rather limited.

Thanks in advance.
balth_dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
redgum

HDMI is backward compatible and the HD Storm should work off any HDMI camera input.
redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Seraphic

Problem is though, HDMI 1.1 is missing some features from the newer versions as shown in the below chart. And yes, HDMI is indeed backward compatible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions
Seraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
redgum

That's a good point Seraphic. When manufacturers design an HDMI product they have to specify a specific version of HDMI. Even though there have been a number of revisions since version 1.1 that Canopus use it is unlikely that any input device (camera) will exceed this specification.
If you were to capture from some other HDMI device like a DVD player there is a remote chance your input may be limited.
redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Essentially, that's it - these products are primarily aimed at traditional video ingest, from cameras and decks (emphasising the 'video' component).

Pegasus is the only 'quirk' to that realm, given it is pitched at a wider market - but the result is still the same - video ingest. While that new console title might boast the latest 1.3-specced audio soundtrack, Pegasus is used for the video...
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Seraphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgum View Post
That's a good point Seraphic. When manufacturers design an HDMI product they have to specify a specific version of HDMI. Even though there have been a number of revisions since version 1.1 that Canopus use it is unlikely that any input device (camera) will exceed this specification.
If you were to capture from some other HDMI device like a DVD player there is a remote chance your input may be limited.
For example, if you try to capture input from a device that supports Deep Color (30-, 36-, and 48-bit RGB) form HDMI 1.3 into HD Storm that supports 1.1, you would lose the that feature I believe.

Last edited by Seraphic; 02-20-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Are there cameras that support Deep Color? And if so, do they record that data to tape/disk, or only provide passthrough (ie. live signal output via HDMI)?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
Seraphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
Are there cameras that support Deep Color? And if so, do they record that data to tape/disk, or only provide passthrough (ie. live signal output via HDMI)?
Not sure about cameras. I was referring to Playstation 3 for example.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

Ah - like I said, that only applies to Pegasus - the other products aren't targetted at such a purpose.

And with PS3 and Pegasus, the roadblock would more likely be the HDCP...which we're certainly not going to circumvent.

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories