Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 12-19-2008, 05:19 AM   #21
beachside

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsssss View Post
I believe that KH posted earlier about what was required for the HD Storm monitors.
He did indeed, but it was VERY generic info. I'm just suggesting it will save everyone some grief and if GV aren't clearer about which will work it will be hard to argue about refunds.

Last edited by beachside; 12-19-2008 at 05:42 AM.
beachside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmatt View Post
Sounds awesome! Making sure that the following is specified would help:

1) Brand of LCD
2) works with STORM or SPARK (HDMI)
3) its resolution (e.g. 1920x1080)
4) works in HD and SD
5) size (e.g. 22")
6) speakers yes/no
7) cost?

Sound good?
I'm about to buy a HDstorm.
It would be nice to know what works and what doesn't
I think a Sticky would be useful. Theres info posted here and there and its possible to miss something that might be important.

Asrock Z68 Extreme7 --i7-2700K --EDIUS 8.5WG--HDStorm+ --16GB Kingston HyperX--GTX 560Ti--AX850 PSU--MxM PCI-e Reader--Win 10 Pro 64bit
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #23
GrassValley_SK
Grass Valley

A lot of LCD's and Plasmas don't expect SD comming via HDMI. This is why they don't show any pictures then.

If you have a HDSTORM, HDSPARK, HDTHUNDER, there is a way to find out what resolution a Monitor supports.

After installing above cards you have also a Software on your PC called "HQX-E1Monitor". If you start this Software the Software will ask the connected Monitor (via HDMI) witch resolution and Framerates the Monitor supports via HDMI.

You will see the answer then...

Please see attached Screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HSX-E1 Monitor.JPG (22.9 KB, 60 views)
GrassValley_SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #24
bejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SK View Post
A lot of LCD's and Plasmas don't expect SD comming via HDMI. This is why they don't show any pictures then.

If you have a HDSTORM, HDSPARK, HDTHUNDER, there is a way to find out what resolution a Monitor supports.

After installing above cards you have also a Software on your PC called "HQX-E1Monitor". If you start this Software the Software will ask the connected Monitor (via HDMI) witch resolution and Framerates the Monitor supports via HDMI.

You will see the answer then...

Please see attached Screenshot.
That program is not all that helpful. Yes "HQX-E1Monitor" will tell you what resolutions the monitor connected to the Spark will accept, but by then it's too late cuz you've purchased (or borrowed) and connected the monitor and probably (if you're really sharp) already noticed that there is no SD output via HDMI. I assume it is the same for HDStorm.

I've checked a lot on monitor specs over that last couple of days and I don't think there is an easy solution to this. All monitors state that they will accept a 480i (NTSC SD) signal, but they don't specify whether they will take that signal via HDMI or just component/composite, which was the case with my Samsung. I can't really blame the manufacturers - how many pieces of equipment are there that want to shove an SD signal through HDMI. I can't think of anything other than these products and possibly other edit cards.

As far as I can see the ultimate solution is for some type of driver rewrite by Canopus that sends a progressive signal to the monitor. I don't know if that is even possible with the hardware. In the meantime some type of sticky in this forum with compatible/non-compatible monitors may be the only way to save folks a lot of grief.

edit: Actually I've just been thinking about it and bumping the HDSpark output to at least a progressive signal should be fairly easy since the card can already output progressive HD signals. Should just be a driver update.

Primary - Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 / AMD Phenom II X6 1100T / 8 GB RAM / ASUS Radeon HD 6850 / HDSpark / W7Pro64 / Edius 551 / ProCoder 2
Secondary - Asus P5Q DX / Intel Q6600 / 8 GB RAM / NVidia 8600GT / W7Pro64 / Edius 551 / ProCoder 2

Last edited by bejay; 12-19-2008 at 03:58 PM.
bejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:06 AM   #25
mattmatt

WE WANT STICKY! Please :) So far, I only got ONE monitor (Computer LCD) that works, thanks to Shueardm:

1). Benq 24" E2400D

But does it do SD?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:14 AM   #26
tony

Quote:
WE WANT STICKY! Please :)
Good idea :)

Asrock Z68 Extreme7 --i7-2700K --EDIUS 8.5WG--HDStorm+ --16GB Kingston HyperX--GTX 560Ti--AX850 PSU--MxM PCI-e Reader--Win 10 Pro 64bit
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:28 AM   #27
swsw1550

Has anyone tested the DELL's 24in monitors with both HD and SD via HDMI with the Storm card and does it work with
both HD and SD?

Steve

Last edited by swsw1550; 12-20-2008 at 02:52 AM.
swsw1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:41 AM   #28
shueardm

Quote:
WE WANT STICKY! Please :) So far, I only got ONE monitor (Computer LCD) that works, thanks to Shueardm:

1). Benq 24" E2400D

But does it do SD?
Sorry, that wasn't on my mind when i had it (HDStorm installed) so i didn't check it out. HD works fine but.

I've actually still got the monitor I was going to use it with the HDSpark that never booted. So if you want i can lend the monitor to you and you can consider a purchase.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #29
redgum

Yes! I have.
redgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #30
GrassValley_KH
Mr Sparkle

If you want a sticky, someone needs to start a thread, first...

I have nothing to contribute re: compatible monitors.
GrassValley_KH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS