Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 03-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
shueardm

Default 4K TV as a monitor

So who else is using a 4K TV as a PC monitor?

After doing some reading I decided to buy a GTX 1050 just so I could do a cheap test of the TV from our bedroom as a PC monitor. ( My old GTX 770 won't do 4K @ 60 )

The TV I am using is a Samsung 40 inch KU6000 series HDR

It's not going back in the bedroom anymore. My new PC desktop is too beautiful and too convenient.

I have 1:1 pixel mapping so it's native UHD at 60 Hz and HDR mode is on RGB 444 Full is engaged. I can now play 4K HDR video on my PC too which is a bonus.

OH.... and this would not have been possible if I had not recently acquired my first set of reading glasses. Why did I wait so long.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
DigitalDave

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by shueardm View Post
OH.... and this would not have been possible if I had not recently acquired my first set of reading glasses. Why did I wait so long.
Hey Mark, the next thing you will have to learn to do is keep them clean - you'll go from HD to 8K with one clean!!
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
shueardm

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
In 40 inch UHD is probably good. In bigger sizes DPI will be to small- pixels to visible.
How is your neck?
Not too bad at all. I would not want to go bigger though.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
shueardm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDave View Post
Hey Mark, the next thing you will have to learn to do is keep them clean - you'll go from HD to 8K with one clean!!
I know , my cell phone has 8K resolution when my glasses are clean :)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
shueardm

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4K View Post
Is there a setting to turn HDR on? I know there is one to turn on "fake HDR".
For long time this was only possible with special HDMI flagging or by plying files directly in TV (also with special flagging).
Panasonic has such a setting- Samsung/Sony use to not.
This one is an 8 bit panel so it is safe to say it is fake HDR when it's delivered- however the eyes don't lie, the color space is still so much wider, the source is processed as HDR when you select some menu settings for HDMI UHD Color
Old 03-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Liverpool TV

Hi Mark.

I recently tried out my UHD TV as a GUI monitor. As a result, I personally don't see UHD as an option for GUI monitoring.

Natively, UHD doesn't lend itself at all well for GUI work. If you scale the interface then things will look sensible, but this then defeats the object. Also, Edius doesn't play well with resizing at that resolution.

For me personally, I think somewhere around 1440 is a more practical resolution. This gives a good visual resolution at typical monitoring distances and the 1:1 scaling at mid to large sized monitors won't leave you squinting.

I've seen 27" monitors at 1080 look great, but that may be the absolute upper limit for a 1080 GUI monitor at typical viewing distances.

My next GUI monitor is likely to be an ultra wide at between 34" to 37" at 1440. For me personally, this would seem the sweet spot/trade off for dropping back down to a single GUI monitor. I quite fancy the idea of a bezel free monitoring experience for the centre of my field of view. There's probably about a third of a reduction in horizontal screen area compared to two 16:9s at the same vertical height and resolution. But I think this is something I could personally live with if it means getting a single GUI monitor to do most of what I do.

My main two programs are Edius and Cubase. At present I'm using two 24" 16:9s at 1080, which is a total of a little over 4 million pixels. An ultra wide at 1440 is just short of 5 million pixels. With a little re positioning of panels, I reckon I could get the screen working right for my personal use. The viewing resolution would be great for my distance, I'd get more physical vertical height, but with the inevitable physical horizontal reduction. But best for me, getting shut of the centre bezels and decluterimg my workspace a little.

UHD for GUI maybe right for some, but for me personally it's not worth it especially bearing in mind that you'd be wasting its dpi/resolution by scaling GUI elements, at any physical size.

All that said, I'd whole heartedly recommend a UHD TV for video/timeline playback. While my TV is nowhere near perfect calibration, it is way better for getting a feel for UHD content than watching the same content on a lower resolution (proper) video monitor.

Cheers,
Dave.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
Crespel

In my case Edius is used in a 3 UHD = 2 Monitor 24" + 27" and a 40" 4K TV setup.
The monitors are NEC and Samsung and the TV is Panasonic.
The Panasonic does not support 10Bit or better 12Bit,444 so its obsolete in the
mean time.
The subjective best quality picture is on the Samsung.
both on: 10Gbps Media sharing Network, 10Gbps NAS
Crespel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories