Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > MYNC

Old 07-03-2015, 05:23 AM   #11
Kris

Default New Subforum or 'sticky' for GV Browser?

David & Douglas: thanks for the overviews.

I'm wondering if the moderators might not consider adding a subforum or a 'sticky' thread for collected GV Browser issues, tips, feature requests, discoveries, etc.

The whole asset management thing seems like something of a new paradigm, and it might be nice to have a collected spot for all relevant issues.

Just a thought.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #12
Bluetongue

Hi Douglas
Managed to access my "HOLD" drive by mapping it over the network and
YES fell into the same problems you described in your video 1
In Video 2 there is no need to do any housework before you Catalogue the drive, once all the Clips are catalogued you can select and right click to remove from the Catalogue, by using the "Shift or Control" keys you can select and right click to remove multiple clips, all remain on the HD
Then place "TAGS", single or multiple and when finished open EDIUS, make sure the "TAG" column is showing and you can then add them to the "BIN" or timeline
Davids video goes pretty well into that
When I get the Key for my Main editor I will see if it is possible to transport the catalogue over from one computer to the other to save some time
I don't seem to be able to change a "Catalogue" Name? any one found a way?
Regards Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
Drbgaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetongue View Post
Hi Douglas
Managed to access my "HOLD" drive by mapping it over the network and
YES fell into the same problems you described in your video 1
Thus my catch phrase of "Tutorials for mere mortals!"

Quote:
In Video 2 there is no need to do any housework before you Catalogue the drive, once all the Clips are catalogued you can select and right click to remove from the Catalogue, by using the "Shift or Control" keys you can select and right click to remove multiple clips, all remain on the HD
Then place "TAGS", single or multiple and when finished open EDIUS, make sure the "TAG" column is showing and you can then add them to the "BIN" or timeline
I am well aware of the above workflow BUT in my case I have been such a bad media manager over the years that I wanted to do "spring-cleaning". My first jump into the GVB resulted in 29,000 files - many of them of no practical value.
Why keep all those rubbish media files?
So, realising that I did not know enough about the GVB, I decided to use windows to sift through my media drives. I deleted many and I also tried to make sure that I gave each file a recognisable name.
After recataloguing I ended up with 16,000 files.
Now I will gradually start tagging files (16,000 instead of 29,000) as I need them. As I had actually named all my files I had immediate access to the seek functions in GVB.

Quote:
Davids video goes pretty well into that
Yes, he does an excellent job. The fact is that we are both in contact with each other on this GVB thingy and are trying not to do too much duplicated stuff. David is much more systematic than I am. I tend to describe my own personal experience with applications and look for pitfalls and try to explain how to rectify them or avoid them. Maybe between us we will be able to cover most aspects of the GVB

Quote:
When I get the Key for my Main editor I will see if it is possible to transport the catalogue over from one computer to the other to save some time
I don't seem to be able to change a "Catalogue" Name? any one found a way?
Regards Barry
I think, and probably you do to, that the GVB will continue to be developed and it will be things like the renaming of Catalogues that will be introduced or simplified.
Plenty of feedback is what will be needed.

The GVB is going to be a really useful tool for EDIUS editors.
My previous NLE, Avid Media Composer, has nothing remotely resembling the GVB.

Regards
Douglas

Main System: EDIUS WG 9, Asustek Intel Z370, i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX-1080Ti, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 10 Pro

Last edited by Drbgaijin; 07-03-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Drbgaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #14
Drbgaijin

Barry,
I don't know if David will find a renaming catalogue function
I haven't but I have a workaround for you

Let us say you created a catalogue named "Woops wrong name" and have dragged media into it.
Create a new catalogue with e.g. "That's a better name" and then select all clips in the "Woops wrong name" one and drag them into the "That's a better name" one.
Then write click on the one you want to delete and choose "Delete". It will not delete any media clips, but the catalogue will disappear and you will be left with the new one
Regards
Douglas

Main System: EDIUS WG 9, Asustek Intel Z370, i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX-1080Ti, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 10 Pro
Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
David Clarke

There are still quite a few things I need to learn about Browser myself so when I work out more I will post an update assuming that it is not something Douglas has covered.

I think the GV Browser does quite a lot that is useful now; I think it could do more. I think it is a good version 1 and I hope more is going to be added.

When I first used GV Browser I though it was just the same kind of thing that I got with my Sony AVCHD camera - which can catalogue clips and show them in a timeline view. It was the fact it handled pretty much all types of video that made a huge difference.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #16
David Clarke

I can change the catalog name by double clicking on the name (not the numbers) and then typing a new name.

Not as a direct add on to the above content, but I did struggle to find out where the Browser was covered in the EDIUS 8 manual at first. You can download the manual here:

http://www.grassvalley.com/apps/doc_...rt=rev#manuals

And the information on the browser starts at page 462.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Bluetongue

Thanks David and Douglas
As per EDIUS there are many ways to do something all with the same result
Thanks for the help and interaction
Dave YES I was able to rename the Catalogue by double clicking
This is going to be a really useful tool
Thanks for the link to the manual!
Barry

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Last edited by Bluetongue; 07-03-2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Manual
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #18
Drbgaijin

I have just added the 3rd tutorial on my adventures into the GV Browser

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/2015/2015GVBrowser.html

Regards
Douglas

Old 07-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #19
Drbgaijin

A 4th and a 5th Tutorial have now been added

http://www.gaijin-eyes.com/2015/2015GVBrowser.html

Regards
Douglas

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > MYNC