Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Peter Pan

Default EDIUS PRO7 Upgrade experience - might save you some time

Yesterday, I upgraded from a stable 6.08 to PRO 7 on a Win 7 Dell T7500 workstation. Itīs a good idea to back up your C drive before you update.

You are asked by the installer to uninstall the Edius 6 version first, reboot and then start the installer again.

Starting Edius 7 caused a lot of unexpected and mysterious crashes and problems - until I realized that the Thunder/Storm 3G card most probably wasnīt really locked in its PCIe slot.

That solved, Edius 7 is now running smooth, fast, and stable in the 10 working hours since the installation.

Opening big projects which you finished or worked on under vs. 6 can cause a problem or two if you had applied NewBlue or other effects which you created with plug-in software. If thatīs the case, Edius 7 will prompt you: "Plug-in for the effect currently used by the timeline was not found. Replaced with dummy effect".

The problem with a big project with lots of clips and effects is that Edius 7 does not identify the "dummy effect(s)" - which means you have to scout for them yourself (the developer team was notified about this problem time and again but they do persistently ignore it)!

Here is how I search for the dummies: Place your focus on the first clip on the timeline, keep ALT pressed and hammer your way forward with the -> (right arrow). At the same time, observe the Information Window which lists the effects and watch out for "Dummy Video Filter" (or Dummy Audio Filter).

So, by shuttling through with Alt-right arrow combination, you can find out really fast if and where those now defunct effects/filters are hidden. Once identified, you can then delete them and create ersatz-fx inside the new Edius 7 effects palette.

If you have stabilized your DSLR shots with Mercalli in Edius 7, do export these clips as HQ avis which of course will integrate smoothly into any Edius 7 timeline.

Dummy audio filters are removed the same way.

Developers, hark: There is a very simple workaround for making these "dummy video filters" clearly visible - just activate them! If you do that in your next upgrade (instead of leaving the effects information box unticked), every user need only shuttle through the timeline at high speed - and she or he will immediately identify the dummy because it turns the clip color negative. Try it.

Last edited by Peter Pan; 09-23-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Jerry

The problem with a big project with lots of clips and effects is that Edius 7 does not identify the "dummy effect(s)" - which means you have to scout for them yourself (the developer team was notified about this problem time and again but they do persistently ignore it)!

It is recommended, by these same engineers, to not upgrade to a newer version while you are working on a project. Going from 6.x to 6.5x or 7.x is a big jump.
A lot has changed.

It is also suggested that before upgrading, the user read the release notes. These notes will tell you what has changed in the program and what plugins work.

There have been many, many posts concerning what plugins work in Edius 7.
I don't know how you missed them.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Peter Pan

Default Upgrade impossible

Hi Jerry:

Sorry, I must have missed something there but I just couldnīt find any posts on upgrading to 7. Still canīt.

I find it really amusing that engineers suggest that you should only upgrade when youīre NOT working on a project. That might be fine for amateurs but as a professional I would love to have a single day in the year when there is not at least 3 or 4 projects running. So should I tell my customers to go to the studio next door because I want to upgrade my edit software?

But the problem, in my view of things, is not them current projects but those big beasts which are finished - but come with plug-in effects.

Peter/Munich
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Ron Evans

As a serious amateur I use two PC's, a version apart, so I am not stuck if I have problems with one of them or need to open old projects. If I did this as a business I may have even more and certainly cloned boot drives. Relying on one PC for a business is a little precarious. This would allow you to finish projects that had been started and start new ones on the upgrade. I have them on a network so they can share files.

I read all the issues with Edius Pro7 and waited a long time before upgrading. Have one PC with Edius Pro 7 and the other with Edius 6.08. In my case so that I can still use TMPRo titler and all the old projects use this titler.

Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 SATA OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS 8.53WG, Vegas 16, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
GrassValley_SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
Hi Jerry:

Sorry, I must have missed something there but I just couldnīt find any posts on upgrading to 7. Still canīt.

I find it really amusing that engineers suggest that you should only upgrade when youīre NOT working on a project. That might be fine for amateurs but as a professional I would love to have a single day in the year when there is not at least 3 or 4 projects running. So should I tell my customers to go to the studio next door because I want to upgrade my edit software?

But the problem, in my view of things, is not them current projects but those big beasts which are finished - but come with plug-in effects.

Peter/Munich
Well our engineers don't control schedules of plug-in manufacturers. I think it is a users responsibility to check if a plug-in which is used is updated for EDIUS 7. Then of course you have to install or purchase it as necessary.
Of course I agree that an easier way to see which plug-in is missing would be a welcome addition to EDIUS.

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 09-24-2013 at 01:10 PM.
GrassValley_SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
johnsirb

I would agree something that would ID the missing plug in would be welcomed
SYS 1: Edius 9, Vistitle 2.5, Boris Red,Neat Video, Gigabyte Z170x G5, I7 6700K 4.0Mz Skylake, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB x2, NVIDIA QUARTO 2000

JVC HM-100,JVC HM-700, JVC HM-600, Canon 80D
johnsirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Bluetongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
Developers, hark: There is a very simple workaround for making these "dummy video filters" clearly visible - just activate them! If you do that in your next upgrade (instead of leaving the effects information box unticked), every user need only shuttle through the timeline at high speed - and she or he will immediately identify the dummy because it turns the clip color negative. Try it.
Something must be different on your system as on mine the color at the top of the clips with "Dummy Filters" is a Dark grey - See attached and the filter is activated and negative see attached and so a quick scrub with the mouse will quickly identify the offending filters

I waited till Prodad had an update, as well as NEAT, Izotope and Boris before I updated, it was only a matter of downloading the latest version and all was well

I think I will give NB away anyway I can produce most that I use from the Edius filters with no need to render

Barry
Attached Images
File Type: png Dummy Filter Color Change.png (39.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: png Information palet.png (8.9 KB, 42 views)

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Last edited by Bluetongue; 09-24-2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: added Izotope
Bluetongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
drapeta

If you loose PlugIns in Nuendo (ADR/music-production), you get a message with all track, which PlugIn load is faulty. You can export these list as a text file. In the track self, you get a "dummy", which descrip, which PlugIn is lost and you can it replace with another one of the same type (which is compatible with new version) ...
Laptop: Lenovo with i3-2370M 2.4GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, Windows 8 pro / 64bit EDIUS 6.52 - Laptop is optimize for nothing
drapeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Khoi Pham

Always research before update, all of your problems are well known and that is why I have not updated yet.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Jerry

The OP's plugin issue is not only due to unsupported plugins, but plugins used in Edius 6.08 do not upgrade for free to Edius 7.

All of the users who updated to 6.5x, either skipped or paid to update the plugins that they were using. These users were able to update to 64bit plugins for free.
If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, 4790K@4.7Ghz, 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
Both systems on Gigabit network
Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, 980x@3.74, Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS