Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC

Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Who Knew

Default Total Noob. Need advice.

Hello! First time poster. Just received a ADVC 110. I want to use it to import lots of VHS home video to the PC. My first goal is to archive the video and eventually do some NLE work with it. I have used WinDV and the 110 to transfer the video to my PC. It is in .avi file format. Each file is 6.21 GB large. My questions are: What is the best format for archiving? DVD? How can I get this file onto a DVD? Does it need to be split? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Who Knew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
GrassValley_BH
Demystifier/Analogizer

Since it's already been digitized, the best format for archiving is exactly how you have it.

You can write the AVIs to a data DVD using a backup program that can span discs (I use Simply Safe Backup or WinZip spanning) or back it up any way you would normally treat data, because that's what it is now - data.
GrassValley_BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
kbosward

Unfortunately, while DV video is great for feeding into a NLE, it is rather large for archiving. One hour of DV video occupies around 12.7 GB (PAL format, should be similar for NTSC), so you're going to need 3 single-layer (4.3 GB) DVDs to archive just one hour of video! If you have just 20 VHS tapes of 3 hours each, that's a lot of DVDs (180) which you're going to throw away after you edit the video.

In my opinion you are better off going out and buying a 1 TB external USB hard drive. They are quite cheap these days. That would hold around 76 hours of DV video. Then you could edit the video and burn to DVD format at your leisure, and after you have finished you will have a nice 1 TB external USB hard drive which you can use for all sorts of things, such as putting your friends VHS tapes onto DVD, which they will no doubt ask you to do once they've heard that you have done yours!

Note that I'm not recommending this for permanent video storage, just for storage until you are ready to edit.

If you decide to go down this track, you will probably find the drive comes preformatted in FAT32 file system. This has a maximum 4 GB file size, or roughly 18 minutes of DV video. So either reformat it to NTFS (which has "unlimited" file size), or make sure you only capture in clips of about 15 minutes each so that you don't exceed the maximum file size.

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Who Knew

Thanks for the responses and the help. I have a 500 gig external drive and I currently have all the avi files stored there until I can decide which NLE program to buy. My only regret is not making the each avi file 4.3 gig. This would have worked great for burning as data. Instead the files are 6+ gig and I don't want to recapture them.

I plan on downloading Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 and Corel Video Studio 12 evaluation versions to determine which package to use. Will I be able to use the avi files I have captured with these packages? If so, will I then be able to burn the finished (edited) video to DVD? Will it be in the avi file format or a different file type? As you can tell, this is all new to me so any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.......
Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
kbosward

Yes, all editing packages will accept the AVI-DV files which the ADVC unit produces, since they are exactly the same as the files that you would have captured from a miniDV camcorder.

If you are burning them to a DVD which you can play on a standalone player, then your editing package will convert them to DVD files (which are basically MPEG-2 files). These take up less space, you can normally fit 2-3 hours of video onto a DVD with reasonable quality. You can fit even more, but the quality will be reduced.

Ken.
kbosward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
Who Knew

Thanks for the help Ken. Hopefully you can help me with another question. I am using the trial version of Corel VideoStudio 12. I converted an avi file to a mpg file using the "create video file" button. It successfully created the file, but it took a very long time and the resulting file (the mpg file) was considerably larger than the original file (716,654 KB versus 4,439,749 KB). I was under the impression that this would decrease the size. Do I need to tweak some settings to achieve this? All help is appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
SoundFreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Knew View Post
My only regret is not making the each avi file 4.3 gig.
If you use a NLE like Edius, you put your video on the time line and divide it in parts of 20 minutes, just take 1 minute to do for a 3 hour video.

Then export each part (20 min) as a self contained AVI file, you can do this (virtually) without losing any quality, nothing you can notice anyway once you comepare it to the original, as long as you don't convert to any other "more" lossy format than AVI. (you can re-render DV AVI a number of time before quality loss is visible, surely for captured VHS source.

On a reasonable system this is pretty fast to render out.

As mentioned in a post above, it's more cost / time effective to use a large HDD as burning ~180 DVD is pretty time consuming not only to burn, but also to read back to the HDD in future.
SoundFreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Converters > ADVC