Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #21
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
I still use Scenalyzer from time to time and it will capture as MS DV from a DV source. You need to make sure you go into the settings and tell it to capture files as one clip, not segment it at 2GB automatically. It can split clips based on the date and time of recording or the picture but ONLY does this with DV footage.
Thanks David for these details....

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:09 AM   #22
dpalomaki

DV is a compressed, lossy format, with limited color subsampling (4:2:0 or 4:1:1 depending on PAL or NTSC). Not the best choice for extensive restoration work.

Keep in mind that compressed and not-compressed are not the same as lossy and lossless, although lossless generally means larger files than lossy. There are lossless compressed formats.

Note that video containing noise (e.g., typical home video) does not compress well, and does not do well when compressed to a lossy bandwidth limited format.

Some folks like to capture with VirtualDub, another old standby. It supports a wide variety of codecs.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #23
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
DV is a compressed, lossy format, with limited color subsampling (4:2:0 or 4:1:1 depending on PAL or NTSC). Not the best choice for extensive restoration work.

Keep in mind that compressed and not-compressed are not the same as lossy and lossless, although lossless generally means larger files than lossy. There are lossless compressed formats.

Note that video containing noise (e.g., typical home video) does not compress well, and does not do well when compressed to a lossy bandwidth limited format.

Some folks like to capture with VirtualDub, another old standby. It supports a wide variety of codecs.
Thank you for complements of information. I read also your other post.

In my "digitilising" 2 cases :

1) I capture with Canopus HQ and edit and filter the result to obtain the best possible DVD or MP4. Fees are higher than case 2).

2) People want only digitizing and only that. They will edit by themselves. In this case, I want to capture the cassette in Microsoft AVI to be universal. It seems that the on Edius, using DV is the only choice...

Sorry for my poor english, I am french native speaking

Main System: Azus Z87 Pro, 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 630, Windows 7 Pro 64, Samsung 840 pro, Edius 8.53.2808 WG and 9.40.4896 + NXexpress or HDspark, 2T separate video SSD.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS