Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 09-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
ArexLi

Default Edius 9.5: Poor performance and HEVC support with Xeon Processor

I was amazed and well impressed with the unbelievable performance on my secondary PC (a plain i3-8100/16GB without any add-on graphics card). The rendering of 10-bit HEVC was fast and pretty.

However, when I used the same software on my primary system (a Xeon E5-2699 v4/64GB with GTX1080 Ti), the overall performance was significantly downgraded. Not only the responsiveness was worse, I even got the message "Cannot export files due to unavailability of hardware encoder".

Question 1:
Is there any way to improve the performance on my primary system?

Question 2:
Can I assume that a CPU with Intel Quicksync is required for Edius HEVC output?
ArexLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArexLi View Post
I was amazed and well impressed with the unbelievable performance on my secondary PC (a plain i3-8100/16GB without any add-on graphics card). The rendering of 10-bit HEVC was fast and pretty.

However, when I used the same software on my primary system (a Xeon E5-2699 v4/64GB with GTX1080 Ti), the overall performance was significantly downgraded. Not only the responsiveness was worse, I even got the message "Cannot export files due to unavailability of hardware encoder".

Question 1:
Is there any way to improve the performance on my primary system?

Question 2:
Can I assume that a CPU with Intel Quicksync is required for Edius HEVC output?
Yes, Edius requires an Intel CPU with an H265/HEVC compatible Quicksync GPU core for direct H265 encodes. Most XEON's, don't have the CPU core, so you can't encode H265 directly from Edius on those systems.

You can use a software encoder such as Handbrake, amongst others, by exporting an HQX file and using it as the Handbrake source. Some softwares can also use the nVidia GPU's nvenc functions for the same acceleration purpose that Edius uses the Intel GPU for.

These questions have been asked many times on the forum. A quick forum search will reveal a lot more information than I have posted here.

Regarding the performance of you Xeon system, you will need to provide some information about the system for people to give you recommendations. Things like, CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM, Storage Configuration, source file type/codec, Windows Version, Edius version, among other things can help. So far all we know is "Xeon E5-2699 v4/64GB with GTX1080 Ti", but my initial reaction to that is that your CPU is probably too slow. It has a clock speed of 2.2GHz, but Edius tends to perform a lot better with faster clock speeds. This is why your i3 seems better, as it has a clock speed of 3.6GHz.

XEON processors are more about parallel processing of multiple processes which is why they tend to have a higher core count (think computer servers being accessed by many people and softwares at the same time), where as i3/i5/i7/i9 tend to focus on doing fewer things at the same time , but doing them at a faster speed. This speed boost is what Edius tends to favor more than the core count.
Edius WG 9.50.5351, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 09-22-2019 at 07:28 AM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories