Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 07-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
RayL

Default Scrubbing volume quieter than playback volume?

When scrubbing, the volume is quieter than when playing the timeline. Is there a tweak for this so that the scrub volume can be made equal to playback?

RayL
RayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
RayL

It is unusual to get no replies. Am I to assume, then, that scrub volume cannot be brought up to playback volume? It's a nuisance, just another little Edius quirk.

Perhaps it could be fixed at the next update?

Ray
Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
John Hooper

I guess that this function is designed that way so that the increased audio "energy" in the high frequencies when scrubbing doesn't blow the tweeters in your speakers.
Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor
John Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
RayL

I would hope not. That would be the sort of arrogant 'We know what you want so we won't give you the option' attitude that we've come to expect from Microsoft. I'm sure GV wouldn't be that arrogant, would they?

Ray
Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Red Union Films
Banned

After spending many years in audio production, and blowing many tweeters. I have to say that John is 100% correct. Blowing cheap PC speakers is one thing, wrecking a monitoring system that may cost many thousands is another. It's not an arrogantly enforced opinion, could you imagine the bother GV would get into if they did not have such a safety measure in place. Besides, the potential damage to your ears is easily worth the minor inconvenience of a ducking/attenuation system.

Cheers.

Dave.
Red Union Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
GrassValley_PS

It has nothing to do with arrogance. I am totally scratching my head to try and figure out how John's suggestion about a physical limitation (which makes perfect sense), translates into somebody telling you what you "want".There is no Vol control for scrubbing and I honestly don't expect one until we have a major overhaul of the audio
GrassValley_PS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Andreas_Gumm

I think it has been designed perfectly for most needs when scrubbing!

I didn't hear any similar request before or that someone feels bothered by the actual way!
Not shure about it but I think most other applications working in a similar way & let you scrub more or less quieter.
But none of them has a seperate volume control just for scrubbing.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 9800GT
Windows 7 Ultimate,
GV software: EDIUS 7.42, VisTitle v2.5,
GV hardware: 3G Storm
software SONY DoStudio Indie + EX 4.0.11
PC 2
Intel Core i7-3770, GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H F14, 16GB RAM,
Geforce 650 GTX, 5x HDD, Windows 7,
GV software: EDIUS 7.42, ProCoder 3.0
GV hardware: HD SPARK
software: Telestream Switch, DTS-HD MAS, Dolby Media Meter
Andreas_Gumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Paranova Films

i agree, i also have spend many years working audio with a lot of programs and i can not remember an app that work different

GODZILLA WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT 32 Gb RAM, 4 INTEL CORE i7 3,30 Ghz, RAID 12 Tb HDD, NVIDIA GForce GTX980i, EDIUS 8 Workgroup with Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme, ADOBE PRODUCTION STUDIO CS3, COREL MOVIE FACTORY 7

http://www.paranovafilms.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/paranovafilmsLTDA
Paranova Films is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
RayL

Your replies imply that editors are going to be all the time scrubbing at high speed backwards and forwards along the timeline. Well, perhaps that sort of editor has to learn the hard way about blowing up tweeters. Scrubbing to find an edit point is a careful process. Matching the volume between scrubbing and playback makes for faster, more efficient, editing because it does not involve constant changes of the computer's volume control

The finest of the Standard Definition editing programmes (Premiere 6.5) had no such 'nanny knows best' feature, and I'm not aware of huge numbers of complaints about blown tweeters. Would you not concede that Edius should at least have the option of selecting matched or unmatched levels for scrubbing?

Ray
Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
John Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
Your replies imply that editors are going to be all the time scrubbing at high speed backwards and forwards along the timeline. Well, perhaps that sort of editor has to learn the hard way about blowing up tweeters. Scrubbing to find an edit point is a careful process. Matching the volume between scrubbing and playback makes for faster, more efficient, editing because it does not involve constant changes of the computer's volume control

The finest of the Standard Definition editing programmes (Premiere 6.5) had no such 'nanny knows best' feature, and I'm not aware of huge numbers of complaints about blown tweeters. Would you not concede that Edius should at least have the option of selecting matched or unmatched levels for scrubbing?

Ray
It all depends how you are scrubbing the timeline.

If you drag the cursor along the timeline, the audio level is lower for the very reason I said in my previous post. Edius does not "know" how fast you might use this function and therefore spares you the cost of blown tweeters.

If, however, you scrub using the forward arrow (or backwards arrow) on the keyboard then the audio level is higher. I assume this because you are limited in the speed and would not damage anything.

I have a Contour Design Shuttle Pro and this also enables you to scrub more precisely and doesn't appear to reduce the audio level very much.

Are you scrubbing using the mouse and cursor?
Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Last edited by John Hooper; 07-29-2011 at 10:14 PM.
John Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS