Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 10-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
Pault

Default Edius 7.53 crashing

Hello all...

My edit station keeps crashing on me randomly. I've gone through the machine to make sure all the hardware is fine, as well as cleaned out both the editing and operating system drives. The crash report from Edius is attached. Anyone know how to look through this to find what the root cause of these crashes are?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EdiusSystemReport-20191015-092621.zip (3.43 MB, 4 views)
Pault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pault View Post
Hello all...

My edit station keeps crashing on me randomly. I've gone through the machine to make sure all the hardware is fine, as well as cleaned out both the editing and operating system drives. The crash report from Edius is attached. Anyone know how to look through this to find what the root cause of these crashes are?

Thanks in advance.
Reading those reports I will have to leave to someone else that is used to pouring through them, but I will pose a couple of questions and offer some general troubleshooting suggestions that may point to an answer.

1. Has anything changed on the systems recently? (software updates, driver updates, windows updates, new software, new hardware, etc.) If you have changed any hardware, make sure all cables and cards are seated correctly (best to actually unplug and replug everything to confirm this)

2. Do you perhaps have a thermal issue going on? Perhaps grabbing a can of compressed air and blowing out the CPU fan, power supply fans, chipset fans, GPU fans, etc. may help. I have seen dust build up in CPU coolers in particular cause random crashing. A system temperature monitor may help with these issues.

I have even seen dust caked onto RAM sticks cause problems like this. (the dust is sucked into the CPU cooler and exhausted out the sides where it hits the RAM and other close components, sticking there. The dust on the RAM can cause a "high resistance short circuit" that keeps the RAM from working correctly. Dusty RAM may require a light cleaning with a clean dry toothbrush or the like to get the dust out from between the legs of the chips if compressed air is not enough.

3. I have also seen bad motherboard capacitors cause similar issues. If you are not too well versed in electronics repair, you can often, but not always, spot a bad capacitor with visual inspection. Have a look at this link to see what to look for in a visual inspection.
https://www.robotroom.com/Faulty-Capacitors-1.html

4. Do you have a drive starting to fail? Have you checked your drives for errors? Failing drives can cause similar issues.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
antonsvideo

you are running Win7 Enterprise, I am not sure if Enterprise is meant to work well with EDIUS?

you have lots of Win update failures on the 14th October and lots of Youtube downloader crashes

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Pault

Hmm... We've been using that version of windows for some time now and haven't had any issues.

Also... the YTDdownloader errors were from me trying to update the existing software on that PC earlier in the day. It appears their download servers haven't been responding for a few days now. It keeps failing, so I've resorted to downloading a different youtube converter tool.

Thanks for the responses.
Pault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
ulyssesvideo

I am still using 7.53 as well... and it doesn't crash! well... once every few years.
One thing I don't do is to have my computer on the net ever unless I have to activate software or update some plug ins and its only live with the net for around 5mins or so.... I believe that is the main reason why my copy of edius is very stable on my computer.... and I am using win7 that was installed in oct 2013.

I think I will wait for edius 10 before I update... only downfall with edius7 is your limited with tools to colour grade in 10bit. and if i get h.265 video files, i will encode them to h.264 or mxf format.

thanks
ulyssesvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 PM   #6
antonsvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pault View Post
Hmm... We've been using that version of windows for some time now and haven't had any issues.

Also... the YTDdownloader errors were from me trying to update the existing software on that PC earlier in the day. It appears their download servers haven't been responding for a few days now. It keeps failing, so I've resorted to downloading a different youtube converter tool.

Thanks for the responses.
do you have any third party plugins installed and are they up to date, like Newblue, prodad, VST plugins etc.

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS