Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS

Old 09-30-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
sherri@tidychaos.c

Default More sync questions....

I read most of the sync stuff here, watched the Anton tutorial (TY!) and now, I get the weirdest thing.

First - I have to sync a bunch of footage from a sweet 16 from 4 cameras. I did not shoot this footage, so I rely on the syncing to get it in some order.

Used the tutorial as a guide and it worked insofar as it is synced... but it's synced into 10 different sequences. Each sequence is lined up, it's all good looking. However, it's all out of order. The 6th sequence in the line is the beginning of the party (intros)....

How can I have ALL the footage be on ONE sequence?
I am suspecting that there is another way to do this for people with a lot of footage, rather than Anton's example of 2 clips that need to be synced (YES I KNOW it's an example, but that example would work exactly as he stated, and my experience is not the same).

I would have loved to understand the demo given at the Launch, but it's not in a language I understand :(
Thanks!!
S.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
BernH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri@tidychaos.c View Post
I read most of the sync stuff here, watched the Anton tutorial (TY!) and now, I get the weirdest thing.

First - I have to sync a bunch of footage from a sweet 16 from 4 cameras. I did not shoot this footage, so I rely on the syncing to get it in some order.

Used the tutorial as a guide and it worked insofar as it is synced... but it's synced into 10 different sequences. Each sequence is lined up, it's all good looking. However, it's all out of order. The 6th sequence in the line is the beginning of the party (intros)....

How can I have ALL the footage be on ONE sequence?
I am suspecting that there is another way to do this for people with a lot of footage, rather than Anton's example of 2 clips that need to be synced (YES I KNOW it's an example, but that example would work exactly as he stated, and my experience is not the same).

I would have loved to understand the demo given at the Launch, but it's not in a language I understand :(
Thanks!!
S.
All clips from all cameras and recorders have to be in the same bin. Each camera has to have the same Reel name assigned to all of it's own clips (ie. Cam1, Cam2, Cam3 and Cam4). Edius then uses a track for each Reel Name when syncing. If there is no continuous timecode and/or Audio track to use as a reference, things may still not be in chronological order, since there is not a continuous reference for everything to use.
Edius WG 9.51.5619, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.8.0.5, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 4TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x2TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software RAID 0/stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Last edited by BernH; 10-02-2019 at 05:28 AM.
BernH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
sherri@tidychaos.c

It's all synced by audio - which all cameras have and are the same for reference. The 4 cameras were all running at the same time. The sync was done by monaural audio.

And yes, I know - each cam in it's own bin, each one labeled with reel number accordingly and all done the way Anton laid out in the tutorial.

Why 10 different sequences? Because there is no main audio running thru the whole thing - like a field recorder? (there was one, the DJ misinformed us which was the correct input for us, and I only have music, no voice)
Old 10-01-2019, 12:16 AM   #4
antonsvideo

I am not sure why it created 10 sequences? When I tested even with all clips selected, only one multicam sequence was created

can you switch audio in audio properties to other available channels in case the voice is one of the other channels

did you add as mono or stereo multicam sequence?
Attached Images
File Type: png Anton-00104.png (9.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png Anton-00105.png (8.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png Anton-00106.png (18.2 KB, 22 views)

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
antonsvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:33 AM   #5
LewS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri@tidychaos.c View Post
It's all synced by audio - which all cameras have and are the same for reference. The 4 cameras were all running at the same time. The sync was done by monaural audio.

And yes, I know - each cam in it's own bin, each one labeled with reel number accordingly and all done the way Anton laid out in the tutorial.

Why 10 different sequences? Because there is no main audio running thru the whole thing - like a field recorder? (there was one, the DJ misinformed us which was the correct input for us, and I only have music, no voice)
All cameras in the SAME BIN.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:20 AM   #6
sherri@tidychaos.c

Yes - all the clips are in one bin labeled multicam, per tutorial. See photo

Anton - I did use mono not stereo so will try that, but do I have to go into every clip separately to change clip quality? I have a ton of clips - easily 200+.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bin 1.JPG (50.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg bin 2.JPG (93.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:25 AM   #7
antonsvideo

close all sequences and delete all multicam sequences from the bin

then set timeline to stereo with the mode bar switch

then select all clips in the multicam folder and right click, multicam sync, then also choose stereo

then you need to figure out which audio channel holds the voice

EDIUS 9 WG with Matrox MXO2, Asrock X99 Extreme 6, Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Haswell-E 8-Core, Corsair Water Cooling, Nvidia Geforce GTX-980, Samsung 860 Pro SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 3 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Fractal Design Arc XL Tower, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win7 Pro
Old 10-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
sherri@tidychaos.c

Anton - that did not work. Did all you said, and got 10 separate multicam sequences again.

So I tried something else based on a video I saw online on the Edius FB page...
I added the "main cam" footage onto the timeline. It also has the main audio that I'll be using for this edit. Then I put all the other footage from the other cams into the multicam file. When I went to sync, I kept it on stereo and "added to the sequence" instead of making a new one.

that also did not work.

The only thing I can think of is that there are 2 video cams and one DSLR? Any other suggestions?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #9
sherri@tidychaos.c

ok - so I did something else and it worked. It seems that the one camera was the issue insofar as it was either confusing the system or something. We had a backup file of that footage, so I used that, and added it to a plural-eyes already-lined-up timeline and it all lined up correctly.

Don't know what the heck it was doing before but it lined up now so....
I'll have to play with a different party later and see what happens. TY for the help!!!
Old 10-02-2019, 01:31 AM   #10
antonsvideo

I think the issue maybe caused by the audio only file from an audio recorder? You may find that there are 10 files from the audio recorder and as such 10 sequences?

I will make tests to try and recreate it
Attached Images
File Type: png Anton-00110.png (308.3 KB, 11 views)

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > Editing with EDIUS