Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories

Old 09-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
SoundFreak_HD

Talking

In the past i have never owned a laptop before as i seriously disliked the lack of power compared to a beefy desktop.
Now that I have a laptop and i must say it works pretty well (compared to the available power years back)

I personally would only use a laptop for serious everyday editing in a very few situations.
1) when portability is a must and you mostly edit in the field.
2) When there is not enough budget to have a beefy laptop and a powerful desktop.

Huge drawback of a laptop is that (besides the cost price) system power is never the same as a desktop.
With medium or less quality laptops overheating will result in a 'warm keyboard', excessive fan noise and drop in power.

You can't adjust the height of you lcd panel, your work-desk must be at the perfect height for the user to edit hours in a row.
Output hardware is scares and more costly.
When using dual monitors (or more) while editing the screen height / position / size will never be same as with 2 desktop monitors, unless like David mentioned, you use a docking station, which, will add to the already more pricey laptop solution.

Expansion is often difficult and / or costly.
Similar priced desktop is much more powerful and expandable, full stop.

I will state that at present i only have a laptop for all my work and because its pretty powerful it's really nice to use...

EDIUS WG 9.51 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.

EDIUS WG 8.53
/ HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000 H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate
SoundFreak_HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 AM   #12
DMS Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clarke View Post
I use a laptop all the time but you have to accept that they are not as powerful as desktops and more costly to fix. In addition to the above I would say:
  • The laptops that have 9900K desktop processors don't generally have Quick Sync and QS makes quite a huge difference if using H.264 footage.
  • The ones I have used with 9900K and a good nVidia graphics card are actually pretty noisey.
  • Getting a decent i/o device is harder. I have had issues with BM's USB3 devices on many laptops. Thunderbolt is better but still times there are problems.
For me the big advantage is I can use it anywhere but when back at base I can plug in 3 PC screens and a keyboard and use it like a regular PC.
Ironically I never use this particular laptop on the road. Honestly it's just too heavy and not user friendly for that scenario. I currently use it in a similar fashion as you when I'm back at base just like a regular pc.

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com
DMS Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:04 AM   #13
DMS Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
In the past i have never owned a laptop before as i seriously disliked the lack of power compared to a beefy desktop.
Now that I have a laptop and i must say it works pretty well (compared to the available power years back)

I personally would only use a laptop for serious everyday editing in a very few situations.
1) when portability is a must and you mostly edit in the field.
2) When there is not enough budget to have a beefy laptop and a powerful desktop.

Huge drawback of a laptop is that (besides the cost price) system power is never the same as a desktop.
With medium or less quality laptops overheating will result in a 'warm keyboard', excessive fan noise and drop in power.

You can't adjust the height of you lcd panel, your work-desk must be at the perfect height for the user to edit hours in a row.
Output hardware is scares and more costly.
When using dual monitors (or more) while editing the screen height / position / size will never be same as with 2 desktop monitors, unless like David mentioned, you use a docking station, which, will add to the already more pricey laptop solution.

Expansion is often difficult and / or costly.
Similar priced desktop is much more powerful and expandable, full stop.

I will state that at present i only have a laptop for all my work and because its pretty powerful it's really nice to use...
Tony I agree with everything you said. That's why it's obvious my next system will have to be a desktop.
Cheers

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com
DMS Video is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories