Grass Valley Forums Facebook   Twitter   YouTube  

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products

Old 11-14-2018, 04:15 AM   #1
Liverpool TV

Default Edius YouTube workflow using X264 HandBrake

Hi All.

Here's a workflow that some may find helpful.

I'm working out a number of options for HDMI and screen capturing for tutorials and game play etc. This video is a first test of the Elgato HD60 Pro HDMI capture card.

While the content won't have much appeal for people on the forum, the workflow may help anyone who's using an encoder outside of Edius, or uploading to YouTube.

Although the final YouTube video isn't the best it could be, due to the limited ingest bit rate of the capture device. Although this is actually an impressive card for what it is, as it's only one of a very few similar devices that actually has a hardware encoder. The picture is actually a very good stress test as the game is very fast paced and there's probably very few pixels or sections of any frame that don't completely change from frame to frame.

I'll be testing other ingest and screen capture options soon and will link to anything that looks like it could be useful to Edius users.

Here's the blurb for my YouTube description, which gives some detail of the workflow, and the video.

Cheers,
Dave.

This video is an example of recording game play with the Elgato HD60 Pro.

The game play was captured at 60FPS, or 60 frames per second at a resolution of 1920x1080 progressive scan, or full HD 1080P.

The Elgato on-board h.264 encoder was set to 60Mb/s, or 60 megabits per second, for its encoding bitrate. Its worth noting at this point that although the bitrate control is 60Mb/s, the HD60 Pro uses VBR, or variable bit rate. This means that the Elgato will vary its bit rate as necessary when recording, which gives a low bit rate of 48Mb/s and a very impressive high of 72Mb/s for this particular recording. The audio is recorded stereo using the AAC codec at 244Kb/s, or 244 Kilobits per second, which is ample for this particular recording.

I then import this Elgato footage in to my NLE, or None Linear Editor software, or video editing software. I use Edius by Grass Valley because this is not only the best NLE but is also perfect for this type of work.

Inside Edius I use a project that matches the frame rate and size of the Elgato footage. My project has a bit depth of 10 Bit with rec.709 colour space and chroma sub-sampling of 4:2:2. While these project settings are more than what's required for this particular type of footage, it's what I would usually do in case I'm editing with other video assets that are 10 Bit. Plus it helps for my masters to be in 10 Bit for archival purposes and any 8 Bit assets will be padded out into 10 Bit anyway with no loss of quality, or any gain either, the same goes for anything with a lower chroma sub sampling of 4:2:2.

After doing some simple truncation, editing and adding titles I then export the project to Grass Valley's HQX codec at its full settings. The HQX codec will look equivalent to an uncompressed version but will be at least five times smaller. HQX also uses uncompressed audio.

For my final YouTube upload file I re-encode the Edius HQX master file to h.264 using Handbrake and X264 as the encoder, to make it more manageable for uploading. I'm still testing some options for X264 all based on CQ encoding, or constant quality. I'm using this method for this particular type of encoding as I don't have a target file size in mind, which I would usually use CBR or a multi-pass VBR for. The basics for my parameters are a value of 17, placebo, high profile level 4.1 and audio pass-through. I'm also using the MP4 wrapper/container.

The final X264 file is almost visually indistinguishable to the Edius HQX master. Once I have done my final tweaks to the X264 output for absolute quality at a sensible file size, I'll do a definitive guide.

I will also be doing a few other variations of this workflow. One will include OBS using both QuickSync and NVENC as the capture codec. I'll also be doing the same but with a traditional video capture card for uncompressed and Grass Valley HQX ingest. These record options will all offer quality improvements over the Elgato HD60 Pro.

One last thing. There was an error in the recording as it's chroma range is wrong. This was due to me letting the Elgato choose the setting. I only noticed it after the recording and as I'd only crashed once in the game, which is a personal best :) I didn't want to re-record as it would have ended up as a tutorial on how to be the worst driver in the world :)

Cheers,
Dave.

YouTube@DavidHarry.com
www.YouTube.com/DavidHarry
www.DavidHarry.com

https://youtu.be/cqqD4zFg35A

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?
Liverpool TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Chopsting

Hey Dave,

Did you ever post the
I will also be doing a few other variations of this workflow. One will include OBS using both QuickSync and NVENC as the capture codec. I'll also be doing the same but with a traditional video capture card for uncompressed and Grass Valley HQX ingest. These record options will all offer quality improvements over the Elgato HD60 Pro.
I found you on YouTube and eventually lead me here, your quality is astonishing and I'd love to be able to bump up my quality. I also have the Elgato HD60 Pro and I am playing PUBG Mobile (on Ipad Pro 2018 - at low settings for max FPS), haven't been able to replicate your results at all.
Chopsting is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Grass Valley Forums > Editors > EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products