View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
David Clarke

I generally use Gigabyte and go for the "cheaper" end models with no bells and whistles. Sometimes more expensive models add things which are meant to help - like the ability to share resources on PCI slots in a fancy way - which actually cause problems.

For my i9 9900K system I actually have an MSI z390 Pro motherboard which I bought because of a special offer on Black Friday. It works very well.

It also happened to have two internal USB3 headers - great for my system as I had the USB3 on the case to plug in and a card reader to plug in. It also had a VGA out on the motherboard as well as an HDMI which I find useful. It only has two big PCIe sockets though which is enough for my nVidia card and a BM Intensity pro 4K, but if I want to add another big card I can't which I could on some other boards. These are the main things I would look at - USB3 headers, PCIe slots and GPU outputs. You may also want to check how many and what type of USB3 ports are on the back.

Before I bought this I had set up systems with a Gigabyte board and the performance was the same, but it had different variations of the above.
Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10
David Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote