View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #8
Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
If you are using HLG and EDIUS it is best to use a Sony monitor as an affordable option. You can select the correct color space manually as Jerry suggested.

If you have a bigger budget you can choose one of the Ezio monitors that EDIUS can control.
Other monitors will require an injector to make the monitor do the "auto switching" correctly.
Steve and Jerry, I took your advice and ditched the LG TV for an Eizo monitor. I bought the CG319X model which lets me manually select HLG mode.

I don't yet have Edius 9 so am still using Resolve for HDR, with my IP4K connected directly to the Eizo it looks excellent.

Grading completed I export using the GV QT HQX codec which includes the HLG information as seen here, using MediaInfo...

Format : Canopus HQX
Codec ID : CHQX
Duration : 3 min 0 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 333 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.605
Stream size : 7.01 GiB (100%)
Language : English
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

This is accepted by Handbrake from which I make HEVC x265 files. Put on a USB drive they play nicely on my 55" LG OLED in the lounge. Oh and it also shows the HDR HLG logo. I am now wondering if Edius 9 in HDR mode would accept these GV QT HQX files and recognise the HDR data? Maybe someone could test?

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote