View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
DigitalDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernH View Post
Hi Yvon,

Dave's suggestion for "Time of Day" tmecode is often standard practice on film shoots. Essentially the timecode counter is set/used as a 24 hour clock that uses the digits as the same HH:MM:SS:FF, but instead of counting from 0 they are aligned with the time of day. A timecode of 18:23:54:12 means the video was shot at 18:23:54 in 24H clock time or 6:23:54pm for a 12H reference.

This way you will have coincident/unique timecode for syncing, and it represents the time of the day that the footage was shot and one timecode clock serves 2 purposes.

If you are shooting multiple cameras and sound recorders, it is bet to sync them all using a sync box or feeds from a master "time of day" timecode clock, although it is also common to use a sound recorder as the master clock source and sync the cameras to that using sync boxes or as the very least a "jam sync""
Every pro camera I have owned over the past 30+ years has a CLOCK setting that uses the clock setting set up in the camera and on many shoots we will jam sync from one source.
LIGHT relief- A couple of years ago I was putting together a promo for a Raunchy Burlesque Cabaret show. The lovely slightly camp producer suggested the next shot should be from an "orgy", (it was a dance with a lot of steamy floor movements). Looking at the Clock Timcodes in the bin and seeing one with a TC that started 15:45 he proudly suggested,"David, how about we try the quarter to four orgy". We were both in hysterics and just at that moment, my wife came home poped her head through to say "Hello"and neither of us could speak any sense to tell her what was so funny. Ah Clock Timecodes....
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote