Thread: New computer
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
AJL14

Hey George,

Many of the components are a matter of personal preference and opinion, so I don't want to begin comments along those lines. I will offer three suggestions mainly:

1. Put in a larger power supply. Under-powered supplies are the cause of many problems in video editing. And a larger supply will allow you to expand or upgrade your capabilities and internal equipment without worrying about the power needed later. I would opt for nothing less than 750W. I have a 1000W power supply, and it never burps and I'm positive is a soothing force to my smooth computer operation. Not that much more to upgrade from 580W to 750W.

2. Use separate System HDD from that of the drive(s) you're going to use as a Video storage drive. Much smoother operation, and recommended by nearly everyone. A 250Gig is more than enough for the system drive and.....

3. Although your 1TB drive for Video storage and editing will probably be just fine for SD, when you get into HD recording and editing, a TB of RAID drives is recommended and would give you twice the efficiency for editing and playback. Believe me, RAID is the way to go.

Good luck, and good EDIUSing.
Cheers,
Alan

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller
AJL14 is offline   Reply With Quote