Thread: AVI converters
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
dpalomaki

TV and PC on-screen viewing is very different. It is not uncommon for captured video to look poor when viewed on a PC. The captured mpg file might look OK if played to the TV from a DVD player for example.

The issue is the quality of the capture hardware and encoding compared to the source material. VHS-C tape (especiallyif recorded as SLP speed) is generally a pretty low quality source by today's standards, so using better capture hardware might not give a significantly improved end product. The only way to find out for sure is to try.

GV has several analog capture products on the market, and a few additional appear for sale on auction sites such as EBay regularly. These include the ADVC 55, 110, 300 and so on. In general they work well and give a good SD (i.e., 720x480 for NTSC) capture in DV format that is mainly limited by the quality of the source material.

To the PC they look like a DV camcorder connected via firewire. Subjectively speaking, MAC users seem to have more issues getting them to work than PC users. (I don't know is that is more a statement about MAC users, or Apple's willingness to playwell with others.)

Browsing the threads here will give you a good feel for the issues others have faced. Personally my ADVC300 has worked well with my Win7 machine - no problems what so ever.

Cost and features vary with model and new or used (add some risk here). Search your favorite suppliers for current prices.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote