Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   BM Intensity Pro 4K? (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35115)

Drbgaijin 05-09-2015 11:48 PM

BM Intensity Pro 4K?

I have been working with a BM Decklink Mini Monitor since I came to EDIUS last year.
Now I would like to be able to view 1080P 60 projects on my client monitor.
I don't really need a lot of I/O possibilities. The little capturing I do is working fine through my firewire connection.
In looking for a possible replacement for the Mini Monotor, I have been researching the Intensity Pro 4K.
I have studied the extensive report by David Clarke on his views on the card
http://www.dvc.uk.com/acatalog/Black...nsity_Pro.html See under the "Please read this before ordering" tab.

How have forum readers who have tried the Intensity Pro 4K found the card to be?
How bad is the fan noise?
Have you found any replacement fan? (even if the warranty would be voided)?
Remembering that I am mainly looking for the HDMI monitor connections and the possibility of viewing 1080P60 timelines - does anyone have any other possible solutions?
Regards
Douglas

antonsvideo 05-10-2015 02:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the noise requires you to place the PC in a soundproof room

a future software update may improve this, or you can buy a modified card with quiet fan at magic multi media

GrassValley_PS 05-10-2015 05:14 AM

I worked with one at a location and the fan IS very loud.

helmuth 05-10-2015 06:19 AM

I have this one,with a low noise fan. It works fine.
https://www.digitalschnitt.de/shop/a...aeaf6abf2a13ff. You can't hear the fan.

Regards
Helmuth

Jerry 05-10-2015 10:30 AM

Also, don't forget that the card requires a PCI-E slot that runs at a minimum of 4X.

Claire 05-10-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonsvideo (Post 251362)
the noise requires you to place the PC in a soundproof room

a future software update may improve this, or you can buy a modified card with quiet fan at magic multi media

Where can I get that "SILENT" fan?

My Storm3G is crying out for one, all the money it cost me and it's the sole source of noise in my new DVC computer. How do the people who design them get their jobs? Are they all deaf? Do they never need to use a voice over microphone?

Drbgaijin 05-10-2015 12:00 PM

Thank you for all the replies so far.
The modified card from Germany is almost double the price of an unmodified one here in Japan - postage...... too bad - too much

At the moment I am considering getting an unmodified card and eventually, offer the warranty, and try and change to a quieter fan.

I also agree that BM must have a whole lot of audio impaired staff if they can, in this day and age, release a product which is the source of so much noise.

Has anyone out there actually done their own modification?
If so, how did it go?
What was the model and make of the fan you used?

Regards
Douglas

Claire 05-10-2015 01:37 PM

A firmware update to slow it down is also a poor solution, like the German version shows, a larger slower fan is the best answer.. but I too wouldn't be prepared to fork out twice as much for it. I would just snip the leads and mount a better fan with double sided sticky tape or maybe blocks of plastic foam, then solder the new lead to the old one, tape it up.. done! At the low price I'd risk not needing the warranty.

Just to clarify, it's the expensive Storm3G card I bought some years ago that I need that silent fan for. Hard to believe that after putting up with it's noisy fan for so long that years later the first alternative that comes along at a reasonable price suffers the very same issue. Gee!

Zorro 05-10-2015 02:42 PM

Douglas, the German company (which also happens to be the Grass Valley distributor for the DACH region) developed the solution on their own. And of course you won't lose warranty. Imho it's worth every cent.

Drbgaijin 05-11-2015 08:23 AM

Thanks again for even more information and thoughts on the topic.

Zorro, I did realise that Digitalshnitt's modified card would still be under guarantee.
But after taking the price into consideration ( modified card + postal fee + a possible customas tax in Japan) I calculated about 350 euro.
Buying an unmodified card plus a quieter fan here in Japan would cost me about 220 euro.

But today, I did some more research on the card and the possibility of replacing the fan. This may interest Claire.
The first part would be easy: Buy a fan/ unplug the 3 pin connector on the Intensity/ release the two "fixing screws".
The next part sounded, for me, to be too risky - clean off the thermal material on the chip and renew before mounting the new fan. The word "chip" scared me.

So I have a plan 2!
I have ordered the unmodified card today plus a fan speed controller. If I can live with the results - OK. If the noise is still too much, then I will be back here asking for more help.
Regards
Douglas