Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   EDIUS 6 and Sandy Bridge (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22232)

AJL14 05-24-2011 04:23 PM

EDIUS 6 and Sandy Bridge

'Morning All,

Does anyone yet have any experience with the new Sandy Bridge processors and EDIUS 6? Does the Sandy Bridge have a positive effect on Video and EDIUS processing and imagery over the standard i7's?

Thanks - this info should be valuable to all us EDIUS proponents!
Alan

Rusty 05-24-2011 04:28 PM

Hi Alan,
E6 is optimized for using the built-in H264 processing.
Some with the new procs. may have some better insight on their true value.

mike0130 05-24-2011 06:17 PM

The only thing I can say- it just works. Was it optimized or not- it is working for me.

AJL14 05-25-2011 07:54 AM

Thanks Rusty and Mike. Without a great deal of new Sandy Bridges out there, it's hard to pole any results. E6 is more difficult to handle than the trusty ol' E5, so I thought I'd be an inquiring mind!
See ya..
Alan

David Clarke 05-25-2011 10:46 AM

Sandybridge are better and faster than normal i7s. There are two main differences:
1. They are faster - so basically better at everything. For this reason buy one rather than a standard i7
2. The Sandybridge chips have H264 encoding built-in which EDIUS will use during the burn to disc process. This is not so straight forward.

You cannot use the Intel Sandybridge H264 encoding without using either a Z-series motherboard (which are only just becoming available) or using the built-in graphic card on non-Z series boards.

We did a few tests on a non-Z series board and the H264 encoding beat the firecoder by quite a margin. The FireCoder was already realtime so compared to a system just using the CPU there was a huge time saving. However because we were using the on-board graphics performance dropped as soon as we added GPU effects or Vitascene or Vistitle effects (all of which use the grpahic card). It meant a huge slow down.

So on a non-Z series board the H264 encoding side of the Sandybridge was not really usable. However EDIUS still worked better than on a standard i7-system.

The Z-series boards should let us access the Sandybridge H264 encoding as well as have a proper graphic card. We have the first one coming in the next couple of days and I an dying to give it a spin. When I know more I will post here.

Put a "proper" graphic card in the system and the H264 acceleration did not work.

pjsssss 05-25-2011 04:01 PM

I just got a new laptop from George Dame to use in some of my training. This one is based on a Sandy Bridge processor (see my signature). I will be putting it through its paces next week so I will have a better feel for it then. so far it feels nice and snappy but I haven't really done anything taxing on it.

heischa 05-25-2011 04:55 PM

Hi

On my i7-2600K / H67 Motherboard system I have render 1920x1080/50i with Edius Neo 3.01 a project.

Starting point:
10 minutes video of my SD707 in 50i without effects and transitions

Rendered in H.264/AVC > 35 MB/s > Super Fine

In the Edius hardware encoding is enabled, the rendering time with Sandy Bridge was 3:50 minutes, so factor 0.38

heischa

Translatet by Google

rando 05-25-2011 05:01 PM

I am buying a laptop today although its Sandybridge I dont think I will see much of a improvement because it will have a Nvidia card so "Quicksync" will be disabled.

David Clarke 05-25-2011 05:24 PM

Our timings on the non_z board were:

For 10 mins project

Software only 23min 19 sec
Sandybridge acceleration 4 mins
Firecoder acceleration 6min 41 sec

Our Sandybridge laptops with dedicated graphics do not use Quicksync so I suspect you are right.

AJL14 05-25-2011 11:36 PM

Thanks to everyone! I'm sure a lot of others will benefit from this discussion, and I look forward to the results from all your testing. Should be enlightening!
Have a great holdiay weekend all. I'm off to the 100th running of the Indy 500!
Best,
Alan