Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   HD to SD conversion ? (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9483)

RonnieMartin 12-30-2008 01:10 PM

HD to SD conversion ?

Could this card be the answer to the artifact problem we see when down converting HD and HDV to SD for Standard Def DVD distribution?

I realize that Blu Ray is the coming thing. However, in many markets SD DVD will be the distribution method for quite a while. Until the price of the blank disks come down, the small production house will not be able to distribute his products in HD. For those of you whose projects are one or two offs Blu Ray is the way to go. When your product already sells for $25 and your margin is so very tight, there is no way to justify Blu Ray at this time. Then there is also the compatibility problem just like we had when moving to DVD.

Has anyone tested the fire coder with footage shot in full HD or HDV and then down converted it for SD DVD authoring? If it eliminates the horizontal line artifacts I will order one in a heart beat.

Thanks
Ronnie Martin
www.dirtracingvideo.com

Claire 12-30-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieMartin (Post 61186)
Has anyone tested the fire coder with footage shot in full HD or HDV and then down converted it for SD DVD authoring? If it eliminates the horizontal line artifacts I will order one in a heart beat.

Thanks
Ronnie Martin
www.dirtracingvideo.com

Yes, I did this just the other day, initially disappointed, artifacts on the veranda railings, fine mesh moving continuously over tiled roofs. For full details see my posts here..

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...?t=9010&page=4

kwshaw1 01-19-2011 11:10 AM

The easiest functional downconvert solution is to change your Edius project setting to SD, adjust titles and effects to match, and render to DVD output from timeline. Anyone try this with Firecoder for SD output?

SoundFreak 01-19-2011 11:52 AM

And for great quality use TMPGenc, this has been beaten to death ;(
Do a search and read all about it.

shueardm 01-19-2011 09:51 PM

I'm starting to use a Blackmagic UpDownCoss SDI converter. It's equaly quality to Virtual Dub in my tests.

Bluetongue 01-20-2011 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundFreak (Post 140147)
And for great quality use TMPGenc, this has been beaten to death ;(
Do a search and read all about it.

I have to agree with you Tony, I just bought TMPGenc and I am now a believer!
So fast and the Quality, for those not acquainted it uses the Lanczos filter
Regards Barry

serge26117 01-20-2011 05:22 PM

The best of all is Photoshop frame-by-frame method))))))), but it takes too many time((((((

SoundFreak 01-21-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetongue (Post 140203)
I just bought TMPGenc and I am now a believer!

Thank Anton, I'm just the messenger :)

Make sure to select Motion Search precision: Higher or Highest (with error correction)
This will slowdown the conversion, but it will be worth it.

p.s. still have the find out the difference with DC component precision 9 bit or 10 bit, can't seem to find what to look for .............

antonsvideo 01-21-2011 05:28 AM

DC component precision
Set the DC component calculation precision level of the quantization matrix. The higher precision increases the
smoothness of the picture color gradations as well as the output file size.

8 bit
Recommended value for low bitrate encoding when the output file size is more important than picture quality..

9 bit
Standard value for movie encoding.

10 bit
High quality value, allowing for the best color gradations, but generating a bigger file.

SoundFreak 01-21-2011 05:51 AM

Thanks Anton, but what is written in the help file doesn't always translate to something one can understand easily :)

I have tested 9bit & 10bit, but can't find too see any difference.
Maybe this is strongly related to the quality of Camera used and quality of TV panel to view and judge upon.

As nowadays my projects are often 1 hour or less I tend to use 10bit as the stated larger file size doesn't affect me.

Even in combination with the Motion Search precision set to Highest (with error correction) my encode time is still bearable on my aging systems, which I don't mind to achieve the best encode I'm able to do.

Now waiting for a Edius timeline plug-in and it's pretty perfect for my DVD production workflow :)

tony 01-21-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew_hd (Post 140367)
Keep it at 10bit for DVD.

Andrew

What would you keep it at for BluRay, the same?.

SoundFreak 01-22-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew_hd (Post 140367)
Keep it at 10bit for DVD.

Andrew

Will do, thanks.