Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   ProCoder (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Unofficial MPEG-2 and H.264 Blu-ray presets for ProCoder 3 (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4146)

shueardm 12-29-2007 12:26 AM

UPDATED: Unofficial MPEG-2 and H.264 Blu-ray presets for ProCoder 3.06

2 Attachment(s)
Please note the following when using these presets.

1) Please first remove all previous presets downloaded from here. You can do this from the GUI or browse to presets folder. Please also delete all previous sub folders for the presets so you don't get confused.
2) These preset files must be placed in the following location. (1) windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grass Valley\ProCoder 3\User Presets...... and (2) Windows Vista - C:\ProgramData\GrassValley\ProCoder3\UserPresets.. ....you may need to change folder options to view the path.
3) AVC is not available in ProCoder2 so you need ProCoder 3.
4) Zip file contains both AVC and Mpeg 2 tagets under the folder "Blu-ray disc", then under Mpeg or H.264 folders.
5) Do not use the program installed presets under Application Specific, they are mostly wrong.

Known incompatibilities

1. SONY DVD Architect Pro - do not bother, known bugs with Architect prevent encoding from many external encoders.

Edit: Revision dated 02/20/11 below :Some settings have been updated or changed, eg PCM audio now part of the target not AC3. GOP size changed in many cases. Due to ProCoder 3.06 now having a setting for VBV Buffer size for H.264 we can now use this to our benefit & it seems to have solved many problems. Now the H.264 files work in Encore CS5 (possibly other versions) and also DVDit PRO HD (previously this was not the case). It seems that these are now much closer to Blu-ray compliancy than before. So install the second attached presets named ProCoder 3.06 Blu-ray.zip. No need for the first attachment as well (that is only for previous versions than 3.06)
Important : You must install ProCoder 3.06 for the second most recent presets
* Don't forget - when you have your .h264 raw file encoded - you have to rename the file to a .264 extension or , .m4v in the case of CS3, CS4.

Khoi Pham 12-29-2007 12:31 AM

Thanks mate, will try and let you know.

GrassValley_KH 12-29-2007 12:50 AM

Thank you, Mark.

This thread is now sticky.

Khoi Pham 12-29-2007 06:51 AM

Yeah baby, Encore **** it up good, no need to transcode, thanks alot, you are a genius.
I haven't try to author yet but from the way it shows up as "Don't transcode", I don't see how it won't work.
Take care.

Crespel 12-29-2007 11:51 AM

Mark,
great - thanks a lot.
Take care.
Joe

Khoi Pham 01-02-2008 08:07 AM

Well I had a chance to play a little more, don't know about those extra frames at the end of the encoding, it is actually the AVC filethat has more frames than the audio file, and they turn up as green frame in Encore, so look like we need to work more and see why it generated extra frames or if GV release AVC preset for PC3 anytime now that would be great cuz I'm not that crazy about Encore Mainconcept AVC encoding quality, actually I think it is verly low quality( 25MB/s) compare to HDV code.c

Jerry 01-05-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 24597)
Well I had a chance to play a little more, don't know about those extra frames at the end of the encoding, it is actually the AVC filethat has more frames than the audio file, and they turn up as green frame in Encore, so look like we need to work more and see why it generated extra frames or if GV release AVC preset for PC3 anytime now that would be great cuz I'm not that crazy about Encore Mainconcept AVC encoding quality, actually I think it is verly low quality( 25MB/s) compare to HDV code.c

Actually, the H.264 Blurays I have done look pretty good. I used the exact same bitrates as I did with procoder for Mpeghd output. I compared the two, as best as I could without 2 complete BDr playback setups, and the only issue I saw was the H.264 was a little softer. It also used 1gb less than the mpeghd file. I would prefer a preset builtin to Procoder 3 as opposed to Encore. I prefer that workflow. Bring on the update!

Khoi Pham 01-05-2008 05:03 PM

What bitrate did you use in Encore? I had a 2 hrs. long project so I use 26000kbps as target and 35000kbps for max, the final file came out to about 23 gig so I think I did my part in maximizing the bitrate, could go a little higher, but I wanted to be safe since it took almost 4 days to encoded, I fed it with Canopus HQ, original footage was from HDV which looks great, but the AVC from Encore is just as sharp but the color were washout and there is a shift toward yellow, looks awful. The color and details from ProCoder MPEG2 was dead on, exactly like the original footage, I used 26000kbps for target and 38000kbps for max and 10000kbps for minimum with ProCoder this time.
Did you use HQ or Lossless AVI when you encode in Encore?

Jerry 01-05-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham (Post 24957)
What bitrate did you use in Encore? I had a 2 hrs. long project so I use 26000kbps as target and 35000kbps for max, the final file came out to about 23 gig so I think I did my part in maximizing the bitrate, could go a little higher, but I wanted to be safe since it took almost 4 days to encoded, I fed it with Canopus HQ, original footage was from HDV which looks great, but the AVC from Encore is just as sharp but the color were washout and there is a shift toward yellow, looks awful. The color and details from ProCoder MPEG2 was dead on, exactly like the original footage, I used 26000kbps for target and 38000kbps for max and 10000kbps for minimum with ProCoder this time.
Did you use HQ or Lossless AVI when you encode in Encore?

I did 30,000 to 35.000. The latest was a 20 minute project so I wasn't worried about space. I didn't have any color shift, as far as I could tell.
I fed Encore with an uncompressed avi for encoding.

shueardm 01-06-2008 09:24 AM

So have you guys had any problems building H.264 to folder or disc like I have? The first project I did went well, haven't made a successful one since. I hope it's just a problem with my local machine and not the encoding parameters. Got the usual (unhelpful) email support from Adobe with a list of 19 things to check or perform (none of which looked likely to be the culprit but they wouldn't talk to you again until you have checked them all off)