Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   FIRECODER Blu & Pegasus (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   New Life for Firecoder (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20925)

Bluetongue 02-05-2011 11:56 AM

New Life for Firecoder

What a pity GV never looked to fulfil the full potential of Firecoder, it has taken an outside company to take this card out of the ordinary to achieve a great potential

The great problem is its drivers that make it suspect as to the type of slot it will work in and therefore motherboard dependent, the future could see this card unworkable if PCIex1 slots disappear, GV say it will work in x16 and other slots BUT there are a lot of cases where this is not working

GV need to look at the drivers to make the card more universal!

Back to the real subject TMPG Express4 and now Video Master works have now put this card on the map and completely changed my workflow

All this came from working to find the best upscalling method for 1280x720p footage from my GoPro camera to work in a 1920x1080 50i project for Bluray, the 1280 footage develops staircasing artefacts on a 1920 time line, HDV does not seem to do this probably because it is anamorphic

My previous method of upscalling was to convert via TMPG Express 4 to CanopusHQ using the Lanczos 3 algorithm with the “Contour” filter set to 100 and WIDE, best result from my point of view

New work flow as follows

Upscalling of 1280 video via Express4 or VMW5 using the same filter set, Lanczos 3 BUT, Exporting to Mpeg using the Spurs engine to 1920x1080 with “Super Resolution” selected, mpeg setting VBR Avg 26Mb audio LPCM. Man what a difference! Edius just eats the mpeg file as good as HQ

The other saving feature now becomes apparent

Export 1920 timeline from Edius in 1920 CanopusHQ
Import into Express4 or VMW5 and you can quickly export to the following format ALL using the Spurs Engine plug in

DVD using the settings Anton suggests for resizing, GV forgot to enable this in Edius! Only gave us H264 output

Bluray MPEG 32Mb Avg looks as good as I get from Edius at 32 Avg 36 Mbmax

MP4 for use on the internet at 4Mb CBR
The time to encode is astonishingly fast at least half the time it was taking me before
Hope this helps someone
Regards Barry

John Lewis 02-05-2011 12:53 PM

Barry are you using the Spurs engine plugin from TMPGenc or ??? the spurs on FCB

Bluetongue 02-06-2011 12:26 AM

John I used the Spurs Engine on TMPGenc which connects with FCB
I had used the one on Firewriter some time ago with the "Super resolution" selected to upscale SD 720 to 1920 mpeg with good results.
This gave me the idea of combining the filters (Lanczcos and contour) in TMPG with the "Super resolution" and I was really pleased with the final result

Regards Barry

MPPais 02-06-2011 12:58 AM

The new TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 + the Spurs Engine also works very well with FCB. Yesterday I bought it and I try to do experiences. I am amazed at what it can do.