Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How to save your Edius license from a non start Drive (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43309)

Bob Nilsen 05-05-2019 07:47 PM

How to save your Edius license from a non start Drive

Hi,
My edit system drive got a virus and spy software the other day. I've been real careful about not using my edit system on the web, so i don't use any AV software for that system. Now my system drive just goes into "Stop Code" Blue Screen and reboots. I do have a backup of the drive (Jan 2019) so I can get back to work, after installing a few updates, but I think I'm going to loose the Edius License on my bad drive. I took the drive out of the system and can get to all the files from my other system, (plugging the drive into USB) so is there a way to transfer the license to a flash drive or something I can do when the drive (Windows 10 Pro) will not startup?
I forgot to say, I've been looking on Microsoft's site for help, but non has worked yet. I can not roll back or install another version. I can not get to Safe Mode. If anyone has suggestions, Please reply.

PS.. I think I got the Virus when installing software from DVDFab.

Thanks
Bob

David Clarke 05-06-2019 10:40 AM

Unless you can boot off the drive and use the licence manager you cannot deactivate EDIUS. You should have some spare activations so you can reactivate it and get working again. Then you need to contact your reseller and ask them to get your licence reset.

antonsvideo 05-06-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Nilsen (Post 320215)
Hi,
My edit system drive got a virus and spy software the other day. I've been real careful about not using my edit system on the web, so i don't use any AV software for that system. Now my system drive just goes into "Stop Code" Blue Screen and reboots. I do have a backup of the drive (Jan 2019) so I can get back to work, after installing a few updates, but I think I'm going to loose the Edius License on my bad drive. I took the drive out of the system and can get to all the files from my other system, (plugging the drive into USB) so is there a way to transfer the license to a flash drive or something I can do when the drive (Windows 10 Pro) will not startup?
I forgot to say, I've been looking on Microsoft's site for help, but non has worked yet. I can not roll back or install another version. I can not get to Safe Mode. If anyone has suggestions, Please reply.

PS.. I think I got the Virus when installing software from DVDFab.

Thanks
Bob

while your infected drive is plugged in to another PC via USB, you can remove all viruses and malware easy (I do this many times)

then plug it back in to original PC and happy editing

Bob Nilsen 05-06-2019 08:17 PM

Hi Anton, I did run Norton AV when I plugged into my other system by USB. The AV did find and removed some problems, but the drive just will not boot into windows. I've been looking on the MicroSoft web site for help and have tried many suggestions that were given to others with the same problem. So far, no luck. I can not get the system to even go into safe mode (by shutting down just as you see the window screen and doing it 3 or 4 times). Unless you have a better way to get into SafeMode. I have a USB drive with windows on it and it will boot the system into a screen that will let me go back, fix the startup, command line and I've tried all, but no SafeMode. And nothing has worked yet.
If I try to re-install windows using the USB or the Disk I have (the system will boot to either), Windows says it can not install because I have the same version already on the system drive.
Each time I try to boot, the window will show on the screen for a short time, than go to a :( face and tell me it has a STOP CODE.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Bob

THoff 05-06-2019 09:58 PM

You can use the Windows Media Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10) to create a bootable USB thumb drive and then attempt a repair of your existing Windows installation. You'll need the drive with the broken Windows installation to be connected to an internal disk controller.

There have been times when the repair options didn't work and I had to manually wipe out and rebuild the EFI bootloader. But most of the time, the Windows tool will do the job.

antonsvideo 05-07-2019 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Nilsen (Post 320257)
Hi Anton, I did run Norton AV when I plugged into my other system by USB. The AV did find and removed some problems, but the drive just will not boot into windows. I've been looking on the MicroSoft web site for help and have tried many suggestions that were given to others with the same problem. So far, no luck. I can not get the system to even go into safe mode (by shutting down just as you see the window screen and doing it 3 or 4 times). Unless you have a better way to get into SafeMode. I have a USB drive with windows on it and it will boot the system into a screen that will let me go back, fix the startup, command line and I've tried all, but no SafeMode. And nothing has worked yet.
If I try to re-install windows using the USB or the Disk I have (the system will boot to either), Windows says it can not install because I have the same version already on the system drive.
Each time I try to boot, the window will show on the screen for a short time, than go to a :( face and tell me it has a STOP CODE.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Bob

without insulting some, in my opinion Norton is useless

run Malwarebytes on the infected drive, I done that recently and over 1200 infected items were fixed and then it booted in the original PC

that customer also had Norton installed, after it booted, I removed Norton and installed Nod32

BernH 05-07-2019 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonsvideo (Post 320264)
without insulting some, in my opinion Norton is useless

run Malwarebytes on the infected drive, I done that recently and over 1200 infected items were fixed and then it booted in the original PC

that customer also had Norton installed, after it booted, I removed Norton and installed Nod32

I'll second Anton's words here, but I'd throw McAfee in the same trash bin as Norton.

I gave up on them about 20 years ago

Ron Evans 05-07-2019 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernH (Post 320265)
I'll second Anton's words here, but I'd throw McAfee in the same trash bin as Norton.

I gave up on them about 20 years ago

I too have the same opinion. Remove Norton and McAfee from everything that I have that seems to come with them as preinstalled on some systems even Android. Have to be careful when downloading some programs that they do not get installed too. Had a bad experience many years ago with Norton that consumed lots of PC resource and stopped my email working. Have not used since that experience. I too use Malwarebytes.

BernH 05-07-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 320270)
I too have the same opinion. Remove Norton and McAfee from everything that I have that seems to come with them as preinstalled on some systems even Android. Have to be careful when downloading some programs that they do not get installed too. Had a bad experience many years ago with Norton that consumed lots of PC resource and stopped my email working. Have not used since that experience. I too use Malwarebytes.

I had a similar issue with email and Norton way back when, as well as causing my system almost become unusable due to the performance impact.

Nothing wrong with running a virus scanner, but you want one that is effective and does not impact performance.

Eset, as Anton promotes, is good, but I use Avast Free myself (not the paid security suite) and never had a problem with it. I do stay away from the security suites, as they do tend to really kill performance. I also keep Malware Bytes in my tool kit, but not as a memory resident scanner.

Bob Nilsen 05-07-2019 11:46 AM

I already tried this. Still did not work.

Other suggestions?
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by THoff (Post 320260)
You can use the Windows Media Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10) to create a bootable USB thumb drive and then attempt a repair of your existing Windows installation. You'll need the drive with the broken Windows installation to be connected to an internal disk controller.

There have been times when the repair options didn't work and I had to manually wipe out and rebuild the EFI bootloader. But most of the time, the Windows tool will do the job.