Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   ADVC (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Capturing from VHS to DVD (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15446)

draft 03-03-2010 01:59 AM

Capturing from VHS to DVD
 
I have been thinking about starting to capture old VHS tapes to DVD.

I've been on lookout for good S-VHS recorder which I can use to send video through S-Video cable. Can you recommend a brand or model and where can I buy those these days. Preferrably with TBC integrated into video.

Which capture device do you support? ADVC series? Are there any differences in quality of ADVC-100 and ADVC-110 are they using different chip to do analog -> DV conversion? I want entry level device under 200USD price.

Another thing I'm wondering is that in which format should I capture the audio from VHS. PCM or LPCM? I'll probably fix the audio tracks with Adobe Audition or Sony Soundforge.

Which is good resolution to capture PAL VHS casettes using one of ADVC devices? And what is a good program for the job (which preferrably works in Windows XP)?

Thanks in beforehands,
Toni

andris 03-08-2010 11:42 AM

I'm not sure having TBC capabilty will do anything to improve the picture quality of a VHS signal going into a computer in any visible way.

Shop around for the best quality VHS unit you can find. The better quality ones will have S-VHS capability but I suspect that any gain in picture quality by outputting via S connector once again will be marginal (if any at all).

In fact, picture from standard VHS is so poor that it is pointless debating how the quality of digital product A vs B will effect a better outcome.
The starting point is so horrible that minor differences between peformance of chips becomes absolutely irrelevant.

For improving sound quality I would strongly recommend buying Soundsoap, especially if it can operate as a plug-in to a more advanced video editing suite ( like Edius ). It's one of those "magic" products that seem to do the impossible - it really does get rid of hiss from old recordings without affecting their 'sparkle' - and is simple to use.

antonsvideo 03-08-2010 02:14 PM

if the VHS is an original one, a TBC with good NR will give you a stunning result

if the VHS is a copy of a copy of a copy (many are), nothing will help, because you can't recover generational loss

peteraugusts 03-31-2010 08:18 AM

If you want to transfer VHS to DVD, several options exist for the VHS to DVDconversion. To copy VHS tapes to DVD, you will need video editing software that can help in capture analog video, edit the video, and burn the video to a final format, such as a DVD. You can also compare video editing software features, strengths, and weaknesses.

russelbrooke 04-07-2010 06:01 PM

Good thing to be noticed..!!

.

Maurice 01-21-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andris (Post 105165)
I'm not sure having TBC capabilty will do anything to improve the picture quality of a VHS signal going into a computer in any visible way.

Shop around for the best quality VHS unit you can find. The better quality ones will have S-VHS capability but I suspect that any gain in picture quality by outputting via S connector once again will be marginal (if any at all).

In fact, picture from standard VHS is so poor that it is pointless debating how the quality of digital product A vs B will effect a better outcome.
The starting point is so horrible that minor differences between peformance of chips becomes absolutely irrelevant.

For improving sound quality I would strongly recommend buying Soundsoap, especially if it can operate as a plug-in to a more advanced video editing suite ( like Edius ). It's one of those "magic" products that seem to do the impossible - it really does get rid of hiss from old recordings without affecting their 'sparkle' - and is simple to use.

===========================

Referring to your mentioned "Soundsoap" how does it compare to Adobe Audition?

BernH 01-21-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurice (Post 317835)
===========================

Referring to your mentioned "Soundsoap" how does it compare to Adobe Audition?

This is a 9 year old post you are asking about.

That said, Soundsoap was a very good noise reduction plugin 10 years ago, and it still exists https://www.antarestech.com/product/soundsoap-5/ . I would imagine it is still quite good but I don't know if it still will work in current Edius versions or not. Not all plugins will work without introducing latency, and some will not work at all.

Ron Evans 01-21-2019 09:04 PM

If you just want to record to DVD so that you can watch the VHS in more places But do not intend to edit or are that concerned about absolute quality. Then a direct to disc unit that has both the tape player and DVD recorder may be the answer. This may give you a start https://www.lifewire.com/dvd-recorde...nation-1846611.

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and feed with a JVC S-VHS machine. Works fine for all the old vhs tapes that I had and for which quality is not that important but does a good job.


EDIT: More awake than me BernH. Was answering the original poster !!!

Maurice 01-22-2019 01:28 PM

Capturing from VHS to DVD
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BernH (Post 317846)
This is a 9 year old post you are asking about.

That said, Soundsoap was a very good noise reduction plugin 10 years ago, and it still exists https://www.antarestech.com/product/soundsoap-5/ . I would imagine it is still quite good but I don't know if it still will work in current Edius versions or not. Not all plugins will work without introducing latency, and some will not work at all.

==============================

Oh my. I hadn't noticed the date on that posting about Soundsoap. Anyway, having figured out the reason for my pass-through stopping passing through I eventually finished the job.
Maurice

Maurice 01-22-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 317847)
If you just want to record to DVD so that you can watch the VHS in more places But do not intend to edit or are that concerned about absolute quality. Then a direct to disc unit that has both the tape player and DVD recorder may be the answer. This may give you a start https://www.lifewire.com/dvd-recorde...nation-1846611.

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and feed with a JVC S-VHS machine. Works fine for all the old vhs tapes that I had and for which quality is not that important but does a good job.


EDIT: More awake than me BernH. Was answering the original poster !!!

=========================

I have a collection of VHS/SVHS machines any of which I can pas-through feed into Edius ,edit as/if necessary and then export to file or disk.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Copyright 2014 Belden Inc. All rights reserved.