Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Multicam Audio sync in edius like davinci resolve (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38712)

andymchereuk 10-21-2016 01:44 PM

Multicam Audio sync in edius like davinci resolve

I noticed you can sync your clips by audio for multicam in resolve to sync everything.

Looks like edius requires plural eyes to do the same, which has to be paid for :(.

Is edius going to include these features in further updates?

Cheers Andy

DigitalDave 10-21-2016 02:00 PM

Its's never been mentioned and I would have thought it was a low priority feature.

Out of interest how many layers do you want to sync?

andymchereuk 10-21-2016 05:04 PM

Thats a real shame. I have 12 cameras to sync. Looks like I may have to do it through resolve then render out and finish in edius.

Anyone know of the best codec to output in resolve to then import into edius. Looks like the new version of resolve no longer supports Grass Valley HQX or Mpeg2 MXF

Cheers Andy

Barrymore 10-21-2016 06:31 PM

I`ve never tried to sync 12 cameras but have often used 5 & I find no trouble at all in viewing the wave form plus a good set of ears! I find the the audio jog in Edius 6.08 that I`m using is very good.

DigitalDave 10-21-2016 06:53 PM

Currently working on 12 layers in multicam all synced and as always done using audio waveform sync - not sure what the fuss is about.

andymchereuk 10-22-2016 02:37 AM

is waveform sync in edius or premier ???
/

if it is premier, why are you on the edius forum?

NakedEye 10-22-2016 05:50 AM

I think Dave is saying you don't need any special plugin for synching audio in Ediua, even 12 + channels. Roughly align waveforms and nudge each track into place whilst playing around area of interest.

DigitalDave 10-22-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymchereuk (Post 283588)
is waveform sync in edius or premier ???
/

if it is premier, why are you on the edius forum?

Give me some credit!!! I have been around long enough to know this is an Edius forum.

You align the waveforms and if you have the timecodes locked you just nudge a frame or two to get them right.

andymchereuk 10-22-2016 02:01 PM

Sorry Dave. Did not mean to cause any upset.

I should of worded it better.

I understand what you are saying about lining up the waveforms. It`s just that resolve does it all for you automatically with no input from ones self.

Saves alot of time and tinkering.

Just hoped that edius may include it in some of their next updates.

Ron Evans 10-22-2016 03:19 PM

Waveform sync will only get you close as the placement of cameras relative to the sound can result in the video being several frames out of sync. Not so much of a problem for a wide long distance shot but a zoomed in shot and a close shot of a stage event can be several frames out. So yes it is nice to get automatic sync but you will still have to check anyway. I normally use 3 to 5 cameras in my shoots and sync by hand. Mostly shoot from the back of the theatre and the difference between my shotgun on camera mic and theatre sound board ( above stage mics ) audio is usually 1 to 3 frames out of sync as an example depending on the theatre. Even in a very small theatre I shoot in it is 1/2 frame out of sync. I cross check in multicam to make sure they are in sync.