Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Use of video filter : stabilizer and rolling shutter (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43025)

Haddock 02-05-2019 10:04 AM

Use of video filter : stabilizer and rolling shutter

Hello Ediusers,

One of my activities is "Digitilizing" old films (8 and S8) and video's. Clients are 90 % amateurs.... and the stability of the pictures is one of the weak point.

The video filter "stabilizer and rolling shutter" helps a lot. Applying the filter shows a message on screen during the calculation...and the result is visible only at the end of the procedure, of course. This needs a certain time .... and you may imagine how long for a complete film in 8 or S8 (generally about 30 minutes). Practically, I don't need to see the final result that is always much more better that the genuine take.

Here are my questions to "experienced users of these filters" to use it properly :

1) What filter to use : with or without "rolling shutter" ? Honestly I don't understand what means "rolling shutter"...

2) May I export "directly" to DVD or MP4 BEFORE process is visible (when message of calculation is still visible). Will Edius apply this filters silmutaneously during exportation ?

3) Will Edius memorize de correction when saving the project ? ... Or will Edius re-calculate the stabilization each time I re-open it ?

You may imagine that I want to spare time and avoid waiting the result, avoid exporting in HQX before editing (to prepare the final cut dedicated to DVD or MP4).

Thanks for your precious advices

Peterjames 02-05-2019 10:30 AM

If I have to use the (Mercalli) stabiliser filter this is done on a per clip basis, which with DV is only a second or two. This initial stabilise render is held by Edius and no re rendering is needed when reopening the project later. Peter

Haddock 02-05-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterjames (Post 318121)
If I have to use the (Mercalli) stabiliser filter this is done on a per clip basis, which with DV is only a second or two. This initial stabilise render is held by Edius and no re rendering is needed when reopening the project later. Peter

Thanks. But nothing in the video effects inform or Mercalli stabilizer. May be it is, may be not. The one I use is in the default list of video filters. If I remember well, Mercalli was an ad-don from ProDad..

Peterjames 02-05-2019 12:58 PM

Yes Mercalli is a paid for stabiliser plugin. Works similar to the Edius stabilise filter.

AJL14 02-10-2019 10:34 PM

Durieux - No need to use "rolling shutter" at all. This setting only pertains to cameras which have a CMOS video capture chip in the camera which scans the picture from top to bottom - thereby giving a "rolling" effect to moving objects. Film (such as 8/Hi8,VHS,Beta) does not exhibit this effect, therefore no need to turn it on.

Until the stabilizer has completed it's work, and shows up on the timeline, you cannot transfer the timeline to DVD with stabilizing. Takes a little patience - and I know of no other stabilizer that works instantly without analyzing and then applying - such as Mercalli. The one in EDIUS has proven to be pretty good, and faster than the Mercalli edition.

Good luck,
Alan

Haddock 02-11-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJL14 (Post 318228)
Durieux - No need to use "rolling shutter" at all. This setting only pertains to cameras which have a CMOS video capture chip in the camera which scans the picture from top to bottom - thereby giving a "rolling" effect to moving objects. Film (such as 8/Hi8,VHS,Beta) does not exhibit this effect, therefore no need to turn it on.

Until the stabilizer has completed it's work, and shows up on the timeline, you cannot transfer the timeline to DVD with stabilizing. Takes a little patience - and I know of no other stabilizer that works instantly without analyzing and then applying - such as Mercalli. The one in EDIUS has proven to be pretty good, and faster than the Mercalli edition.

Good luck,
Alan

Thank you Alan for your advice. It confirms others. I have to calculate a raisonnable price to add this stabilizer that is really necessary for a major amateurs films....

Haddock 02-11-2019 09:21 AM

Another question about stabilization....

After applying the filter on, let'say, a reel of 30 minutes....and waiting for the result... What happend if I begin to edit... cuting bad zones, doing dissolve...

Will all these new segments (clip) hold the stabilization precalculate.

In other words will these new segments stay with this stabilization filter calculated as they hold other filters such as colors corrections, sharpness, etc...

BernH 02-11-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haddock (Post 318232)
Another question about stabilization....

After applying the filter on, let'say, a reel of 30 minutes....and waiting for the result... What happend if I begin to edit... cuting bad zones, doing dissolve...

Will all these new segments (clip) hold the stabilization precalculate.

In other words will these new segments stay with this stabilization filter calculated as they hold other filters such as colors corrections, sharpness, etc...

I'm pretty sure you will have to re-calculate stabilization after making edits, since the cuts will alter the tracking data that the stabilizer generates.

You could always try it in a small piece first to confirm though.

Haddock 02-11-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernH (Post 318234)
I'm pretty sure you will have to re-calculate stabilization after making edits, since the cuts will alter the tracking data there the stabilizer generates.

You could always try it in a small piece first to confirm though.

Thanks for this advice. So I should first edit... and then add the "stabilizer" to all clips created in the timeline....

Geoff_C 02-11-2019 04:26 PM

Are you aware that you can apply Mercalli to clips and leave 'analysis required' to say a coffee break. At that point go to tools Mercalli batch analysis and start a batch process.
If you have applied Mercalli to any clips it is well worth while going to 'Tools' before rendering.

Geoff