Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Influence of the motherboard (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43144)

edver1 03-14-2019 05:34 PM

Influence of the motherboard

How big is the influence of the motherboard cc. the speed / reliability of the system.
Thinking of a new system with a i9 9900K cpu,so the chipset is already determent ,but I don't need all the bells and whistles,and colour scheme's i certainly don't need !
I use at the moment an Asus x99 and that brand I like because it's stable and easily to configure.
Some suggestions ?
Edd

dpalomaki 03-15-2019 02:41 AM

The performance differences among MBs given the same chip set, processor, RAM, configuration, and speed are minimal. Consider reliability reports, after sale support, the features you need, and if important the cost.

There are lots of MB reviews, mostly oriented to gaming performance and over clocking; however, they often give a bit of info on video editing-related tests too. So search for and check them out, as well as comments you see on this and other boards. And heck the MB's makers web support forums to get a feel for problems, if any, among the user community.

FWIW I've been using ASROCK Intel CPU boards recently and have been satisfied.

David Clarke 03-15-2019 11:56 AM

I generally use Gigabyte and go for the "cheaper" end models with no bells and whistles. Sometimes more expensive models add things which are meant to help - like the ability to share resources on PCI slots in a fancy way - which actually cause problems.

For my i9 9900K system I actually have an MSI z390 Pro motherboard which I bought because of a special offer on Black Friday. It works very well.

It also happened to have two internal USB3 headers - great for my system as I had the USB3 on the case to plug in and a card reader to plug in. It also had a VGA out on the motherboard as well as an HDMI which I find useful. It only has two big PCIe sockets though which is enough for my nVidia card and a BM Intensity pro 4K, but if I want to add another big card I can't which I could on some other boards. These are the main things I would look at - USB3 headers, PCIe slots and GPU outputs. You may also want to check how many and what type of USB3 ports are on the back.

Before I bought this I had set up systems with a Gigabyte board and the performance was the same, but it had different variations of the above.

dpalomaki 03-15-2019 04:01 PM

Another potential issue is the number (and level) of SATA connectors. Some boards are limited in this regard. Some may offer stuff you may or may not want or need; e.g., like Bluetooth, WiFi.

edver1 03-15-2019 06:45 PM

You both mention the things I'm looking at : Sata ports (at least 6 and 6GB/s );USB 3 & 3.1;M2.0 (2 or more ).
The GPU is on the Intel boards always the same,so no difference there.
I read an artikel,that Intel is planning to stop producing there CPU's with internal GPU,so that would mean no more Quick Sync ?
I'm thinking on a Asus TUF Z390-pro gaming board,it tics all the boxes and it should be reliable and fast.
That in combination with the I9-9900K would me get on speed for 4K editing.
Always open for suggestions,I know there are already many posts about this item,but technology go's fast and nobody knows it all !
THX
Edd

David Clarke 03-16-2019 01:39 PM

The Intel GPU is in the processor not on the motherboard. I have not used that motherboard but no reason to think it won't work.

edver1 03-16-2019 02:40 PM

The board I'm using at the moment is very stable and I never had any problem whit it.
The brand Asus has a good reputation here,and I read a lot reviews before I made a decision,that is what I'm doing now also.
The problem is how more You read the more indecisive You ( I ) get.
Editing is for me a 100% hobby whit zero income of it.
So I read al lot on forums to get real experience for users.
Using Edius is this the best place to look for it, and I learned a lot here !
Going a step forward,do I need to reinstall Win 10 & Edius with an new board ?
THX for all the responses !
Edd

dpalomaki 03-16-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edver1 (Post 318949)
...Going a step forward,do I need to reinstall Win 10 & Edius with an new board ?
Edd

A new MB will likely require new drivers for the board devices. And you will likely need to revalidate the windows license due to processor and board changes exceeding the Windows license threshold.

While you could probably just move the drives to the new MB and update the drivers, a clean build will be much better. Be sure to do the Edius uninstall properly to avoid license issues.

Jerry 03-17-2019 04:57 AM

I just want to mention that you are talking about two different types of boards here.
You are currently using an X99. This board utilizes a chip that affords 40 PCI-E lanes from the CPU.

The board you are looking at the Z390 chipset, gives you 16 PCI-E lanes from the CPU. So, if you decide that you want to work in 3840x2160 50p, you will need an 8x I/O card to view this
on an external monitor. The Z390 chipset would accept the 8x card, but your graphics card would be reduced to 8x. You may or may not notice the difference.

If you are only using a 16X lane GPU and a 4X lane I/O card, the Z390 chipset should be able to handle that with the right motherboard. Each manufacturer modifies the Intel chipset to suit their boards. Usually, the more expensive boards have more items available; however, all of the options will not be able to be used at the same time.

Here's an example. My Asrock board(Z97) came with 10 Sata ports. Asus boards at that time were normally maxing out at 8 Sata Ports. Normally, only providing 6.

If you want the Z390 and you need more lanes, look into the Asus WS 390 Pro or Supermicro Workstation boards. These will be more expensive due to what they do.

More than likely, you will be able to find an Asus board to fit your needs.
You need to decide the components, and lane counts, that will be added to the board prior to selecting the board. If you intend on using M.2 drives, PCI-E lanes need to be calculated into that decision as well.

Do the math before buying a board.

edver1 03-17-2019 03:19 PM

Jerry
You just gave me serious good advice !
My GPU card is a Asus GTX660,already an old "beast" my CPU is a I7 5820 so not all the lanes provided by the motherboard!
Perhaps I would be better of with a faster/more lanes I7,but they are very hard to find here and there price is even hard to swallow + no quicksync !
That's the mean reason to change the whole thing.
I "stick" to Asus because there really nice UEFI bios and there stability.
If You have better combinations => I'd love to hear them !
Much appreciate Your'e input .
Edd

Jerry 03-17-2019 05:06 PM

It would help to know what you intend to put into the system.
You say 1 16x GPU.
Are you installing an I/O card.
For 4k 25p, you will need a 4x card and slot.
For 4k 50p, you will need an 8x card and slot.
If you are going to use M.2 drives, each drive will need 4 PCI-E lanes. Also, in most cases you will loose SATA ports as well.

Give an accurate description of what will be used in the system.
That said, I like the higher end ROG boards, ASRock, and Gigabyte boards.
I built a 3770k using an $89 Biostar board and it is still working in it's second machine. Each manufacturer has good lines and bad lines. Use what you are used to.

edver1 03-17-2019 06:38 PM

Sorry for my late reaction.
Now I'm using in my pc :
1 SSD SATA 256Gb
1 SATA 4TB HDD 6GB/s
3 SATA 500GB HDD's but likely there will go 2 out
1 M2.0 SSD Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
1 ASUS GTX 660 video card
1 Blu ray reader
1 CD reader/writer but that go's out = havent used it for 2-3 years.
and that's it.
I'm filming with a Sony X70 ,that gives me MXF files,recently I convert them to HQX files,and I don't burn them on a BD DVD but use them in a media player.
I think that's basically everything .
Edd

Jerry 03-17-2019 07:02 PM

So, you are not using an I/O card for external monitor.
If remove the SATA devices you mentioned, you should be fine. The 970 will probably take 1 SATA Port away.

edver1 03-17-2019 07:09 PM

Jerry
I was thinking of the Intel I7-9700K (8 cores and Quick sync ) and the Asrock Taichi Extreme as motherboard .
Wat's Your'e opinion .
Edd

Jerry 03-17-2019 07:25 PM

I would go with the 9900k. The 9700k does not have HyperThreading. It is 8 cores 8 Threads. The 9900k is 8 Cores 16 Threads.

Read this thoroughly. Especially the section under Slots and M2 sharing.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390...#Specification

If your configuration will work with the options, it is a good board.
If you intend to get an I/O card and use an M.2, it might be close.

edver1 03-17-2019 08:33 PM

Jerry
Once again thanks for Your'e time and effort,I'm going for the I9-9900k but the motherboard is choosing between some Asrocks ,new for me but reading different reviews am I convince't .
Thanks again and enjoy the rest of Your'e Sunday, our's is ending already.
Enjoyed schatting with You.
THX
Edd

David Clarke 03-18-2019 11:18 AM

Definitely get the 9900K. I turned off HyperThreading in my 9900K just to see if it would really had an impact and in some quick rendering tests it was about 20% slower. 9900K with HyperThreading off is like a 9700.

John Hooper 03-19-2019 07:47 PM

Like the OP, I want to update my 5 year old 4th Gen Intel CPU with a i9-9900K.

I have built my last 2 systems with Asus motherboards, but there is quite a choice of Z390 motherboards. I was thinking of the Asus WS Z390 Pro, but would that be overkill? I have never really bothered with overclocking.

I would consider other brands as long as I can install an M2 SSD, a graphics card and my BM Intensity Pro 4K.

My existing Asus Z87 Pro motherboard has proved reliable, but what about MSI or Gigabyte MBs. Can anyone help me narrow the field a little?

John Lewis 03-20-2019 03:23 PM

Just updated my PC and have the Z390 Pro MB, overkill or not i am happy with it , I have used Asus for the last 12 years so i am comfortable with it and that's the main thing it is more costly see signature
The main problem is the intel VGA driver see threads about 9900k there is one that lets quick sync work as in the past but windows update will change it at some time then you have to re install it, but that is not an Asus problem its a common one
At present i can export a 3 minute HD Timeline with no effects 25 mbs in 40 seconds

John Hooper 03-20-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Lewis (Post 319030)
Just updated my PC and have the Z390 Pro MB, overkill or not i am happy with it , I have used Asus for the last 12 years so i am comfortable with it and that's the main thing it is more costly see signature
The main problem is the intel VGA driver see threads about 9900k there is one that lets quick sync work as in the past but windows update will change it at some time then you have to re install it, but that is not an Asus problem its a common one
At present i can export a 3 minute HD Timeline with no effects 25 mbs in 40 seconds

Hi John,

Do you have a BM Intensity Pro 4K installed on your Asus MB? Just wondered about shared PCIE slots. I will have to look at the specs for that.

John Lewis 03-20-2019 03:45 PM

Yes i do have IP4K installed and the GTX1070TI
Maybe someone more technical can chime and answer. For me things changed quite a bit since the i7 3700K so i don't know if the PLX chip helps.

edver1 03-22-2019 01:26 PM

I have replaced my motherbord ( Asrock Phantom gaming 6 ) and CPU I9-9900K,everything works,even Win 10 and registered !
But I cant register Edius 8,I've don it online and get the fault code 11787.0.1D4FE.C4
Any sugestions ?
Edd

David Clarke 03-22-2019 03:06 PM

I don't know what the error code means but check the licence on line to make sure it has free activations here: http://activation1.grassvalley.com/f...ortal/logon.do

edver1 03-22-2019 03:21 PM

Thanks David,when I click Your'e link I come on a site where I have to login ?
Edd

David Clarke 03-22-2019 03:37 PM

Put the fill serial number in where it says activation ID and if it is correct it will go onto another page where you can check the licence. If you chooser "licence support" from a menu at the top and then "list licences" it will show you how many activations you have used and when they were activated.

edver1 03-22-2019 05:15 PM

Out of the blue it works again !!
I did what a already several times did and suddenly it works !
I try to install the latest update,but there is somewhere an old Edius/Aurora craft that prevents the update to install ?
The timeline is also not on the screen,probably some setting,I'm still searching.
Edd

edver1 03-22-2019 05:50 PM

Well I found it (timeline)
The update is still not working.
Its a bit a quest but I'll get there !
Thanks for Your'e time and patience
Edd

antonsvideo 03-23-2019 01:54 AM

if you did not deactivate EDIUS prior to replacing mobo and CPU, it is best to do a clean install

follow these steps
https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...all-edius.html

edver1 03-23-2019 11:41 AM

David
Thx for Your'e time and input;I filled my licenses in and got following results :
Edius 7: count 1 / Support type : Master support / Exipration : Permanent.
Edius 8 (upgrade) Count 2 (twice yesterday) Support and Expiration the same as E7.
I cant do much with this info,how much counts left and Expiration means "forever' ?

Anton
Also thanks for Your'e time and input.
I used the online deactivation.
I didn't do a clean install,I didn't know how many times I could reactivate + Edius 7 is on a official disc but Edius 8 is an upgrade (license number) and on the GV site I didn't see the upgrade .
The same was for the Win 10 installation,Win 7 on a disc and the upgrade online !
I used Samsung Migration tool for the transfer of the O.S. and that did also Edius,maybe there did it go wrong ?
Thanks for the link.

I hope I din't made to much spelling faults = English isn't my native language.
THX to both
Eddy

David Clarke 03-23-2019 11:54 AM

You say EDIUS is activated twice including yesterday which means that it is activated. Is you EDIUS 8 number from an upgrade? If so it should be asking you to input your old EDIUS number as well.

I suspect the problem is not something to do with activation and is actually something else. When exactly do you get this message? Is the licence manager icon showing on the task bar?

edver1 03-23-2019 12:25 PM

David
Edius is at the moment activated,many attempts and finely yes.
Edius 8 is an upgrade and indeed the activation asked for the old license number .
I got this message after the attempts to activate,and after several times it finally was successful,don't know what happend because I always did it the same way ?
And the license manager is on the task bar,so I can " play" ones more :-?
Do You know the limit of activation's ?
I would like to do a clean install like Anton suggested .
Why,there are some things that aren't 100%,the effects pallet shows only text no icons,some effects aren't working and the cooperation of the two GPU isn't 100%.and I did't do a new project to find other issues.
I put a question on the GV site,but they take so much time to answer.
Edd

David Clarke 03-23-2019 01:48 PM

If it is activated and working then the error messages does not matter now.

If doing a clean install of Windows then you need to deactivate and then reactivate when you reinstall EDIUS. Anton's article relates to help if you cannot get it activated, and should not affect EDIUS and what effects are showing.

I would suggest you delete your user profile and set up the user settings again. Delete everything here: C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming\Grass Valley\EDIUS\8.00

Where "david" is your user name. This will make EDIUS the same as it would be if you installed from nothing and also delete all your settings, user profile and any effects presets you may have made.

Then start EDIUS and make up new project presets, devices preset etc. This will probably solve your problem of parts not showing.

Instead of deleting you can just move the contents of this folder somewhere else, then start EDIUS and make new settings, and if this does not fix it move the old settings back. It depends how many of your own effects and settings you have made.

edver1 04-11-2019 04:45 PM

Now after 3 weeks I'm back with a working Edius !
After many problems ( no updates or upgrades and a bundle of other issues ) I decided to a complete new installation on my Samsung 970 Pro SSD together with Win 10 , was original installed on a 256GB SSD!
Win 10 was no problem,bud Edius wouldn't get registered,I unregistered online and in the proper way,bud no sigaar !
I contacted GV help and these guys did really everything,even take over my PC
from wherever they where,bud no solution.
There where different error codes bud nothing they could work with,also the old Edius/ Aurora craft message.
Then one of the guys mentioned something and that made me do an safe format of the "old" SSD disk and then came everything in its place !
Probably where there remaining files on the erased SSD disk that disturbed the new installation
Luckily Edius is for me a hobby,bud when something isn't working I cant let it go !
Why this posting = If ever someone have the same problems this may be a helpful post.
Edd

edver1 04-11-2019 04:48 PM

A wile a go there was a posting of making a back-up of the entire disk,bit by bit,bud I cant find it back.
If somebody can make suggestions how / with what ?
Edd

Long John Silver 05-13-2019 04:10 PM

Hi all,

please suggest me a solid motherboard for I9-9900K.
Am I supposed to buy an RGB motherboard nowadays to get a decent system? ;)

Jerry 05-14-2019 01:58 AM

Do you have a budget? Do you want onboard TB3? What requirements do you have?

Long John Silver 05-14-2019 08:27 AM

Hi Jerry,

This is my current selection: https://www.amazon.it/hz/wishlist/ls...?ref_=wl_share

ATM I'm not planning to use M.2 ssd. Maybe when the prices will fall. I already have a couple of external mech drives for backups.
It's a home build so I'm already beyond my budget.

It seems that only base MBs have no rgb hell

antonsvideo 05-14-2019 08:37 AM

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390...i/index.us.asp

use 4 memory modules and not two

like 4x4GB or 4x8GB

Long John Silver 05-14-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonsvideo (Post 320506)
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390...i/index.us.asp

use 4 memory modules and not two

like 4x4GB or 4x8GB

Thanks Anton.
That motherboard is even more expensive :-\

Why 4 sticks? With two sticks I could configure a dual channel conf.

antonsvideo 05-14-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long John Silver (Post 320521)
Thanks Anton.
That motherboard is even more expensive :-\

Why 4 sticks? With two sticks I could configure a dual channel conf.

with 4 sticks you can use Quad Channel memory, just suggesting

when it comes to motherboards, I would not think about a saving plan