Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Edius HQX Codec (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18473)

rando 09-14-2010 03:54 AM

yes I know about quality VS space and speed I was wondering how it compares to Canopus HQ in file size. Right now Canopus HQ is about 4-5X the size of HDV or AVCHD is the new CODEC about the same or will it require more space than the current Canopus HQ.

gdame 09-14-2010 04:38 AM

I would say larger through simple math.

1440x1080 HDV ------>8 bit HQ = approx. 5X larger file

1440x1080 HDV ------>10 bit HQX = even larger file (more data = larger file)

These are both I frame intermediary codecs that offload CPU burden in exchange for editing performance with an increase in storage burden. As Andrew mentioned, hard drives for 150Mb/sec video are inexpensive. Making it a very clear advantage.

Jerry and I had a project setup at 3840 x 2160 with a red file that was converted to HQX. It played back perfectly. Real time effects will be a different story as I thing the buffer was maybe in single digits. Actually I think it was 12 or 16. Jerry will chime in at some point and clarify our findings.

Jerry 09-14-2010 12:15 PM

I was able to get this file to play on a Core 2 duo extreme
running at 3.3. The buffer was indeed at 16 and I did not
add any filters. A dissolve required rendering in order
to play. A 980 should be able to play it with the dissolve
easily.
I still prefer to use either HQ, HQX, or AVC-Intra.
These are all I frame based codecs and will have
larger file sizes, but will have the best editing response.
Drive space is cheap. I recently added 6tb for around $300.

Andreas_Gumm 09-14-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry (Post 124655)
I was able to get this file to play on a Core 2 duo extreme
running at 3.3. The buffer was indeed at 16 and I did not
add any filters. A dissolve required rendering in order
to play. A 980 should be able to play it with the dissolve
easily.
I still prefer to use either HQ, HQX, or AVC-Intra.
These are all I frame based codecs and will have
larger file sizes, but will have the best editing response.
Drive space is cheap. I recently added 6tb for around $300.

Another option could be using the proxy option for limited workstation performance!

baddgsx 11-18-2010 09:46 PM

hi ,

im new to the HQX codec. I will be capturing hdv. From what I read here HQX at 150mbit or better is what i should capture to. So the higher the quality the easier Edius will run but the larger the files right?

I used to use capture with cineform to avi and import to vegas.

Thanks,
Chris

baddgsx 11-19-2010 03:15 PM

i just captured HQX on the highest quality. I have alot of hard drive space so thats not an issue for me. I figure HQX is a newer codec so it must be better for edius 6.

baddgsx 11-19-2010 06:44 PM

do you have to manually set that? Ill have to look again , but from what i can remember last night i was only able to move the left side , fine.. etc

i havent done any real editing yet with edius 6. i will play tonight hopefully. the only performance comparison that i will be able to make is comparing edius 6 to vegas pro 8.0. which im hoping will be a huge leap.

so far i love the edius layout. once i know where everything is ill be faster about it. i was fast in vegas putting projects together. edius will take some time getting used to for me.

thanks,
Chris