Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Editing with external HD (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12228)

tdtinker 07-06-2009 10:32 PM

Editing with external HD

Is anyone editing with external HD using Firewire and if so what drives have you been using?
We are looking at "OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro FireWire 400 + USB 2.0 Combo Drive Solution" dives and "LaCie Hard Disk" 500 GB 7200 RPM.
tdtinker

Mark Von Lanken 07-07-2009 03:57 PM

When I first started editing HDV, I had USB and Firewire external drives. It was really slow going. Then I was told to use eSATA drives and it made HDV footage feel like DV footage. Does your system have an eSATA connection?

tdtinker 07-07-2009 07:25 PM

No it doesn't. We are going to try OWC drive next week, I'll report my findings.
tdtinker

SoundFreak 07-11-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken (Post 82691)
When I first started editing HDV, I had USB and Firewire external drives. It was really slow going.

I can Second that, My drawer is full of unusable External Sata / Firewire / USB combo etc. devices, it simply won't fly.
Use the above recommended eSata or Internal Caddy's with bare naked sata drives, it will fly.

krayzkrok 07-16-2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdtinker (Post 82606)
Is anyone editing with external HD using Firewire and if so what drives have you been using?
We are looking at "OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro FireWire 400 + USB 2.0 Combo Drive Solution" dives and "LaCie Hard Disk" 500 GB 7200 RPM.
tdtinker

I've been editing for quite a while using a WD MyBook Studio Edition (firewire 400/800, 1Tb) - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=374

It's formatted for Mac but I use it on my PC just fine over firewire. Editing DVC PRO HD footage is no problem. It occasionally grinds when I have large images in the timeline for some reason, but I'm not sure if that's a drive issue or a memory issue (I only have 2Gb RAM).

The only annoyance with it, which seems common to these WD drives, is that occasionally when I boot the PC it fails to recognise the drive. A soft reset on the drive usually fixes it.

tingsern 07-16-2009 03:46 PM

Firewire devices are a big pain for Windows - because M$ does not want to support them properly. For example, while there are Firewire 800 devices, there aren't any native device driver for a Firewire 800 host card.

If you plug a Firewire 400 device into a Mac - versus a USB 480 - you will find the Firewire faster than the USB device. On Windows, mostly it is the other way round.

In theory, Firewire 400 devices are indeed faster than USB 480 devices, despite the raw transfer speed being faster. Firewire has less overheads than USB.

Of course, both devices are out-gunned by eSATA devices.

SoundFreak 07-17-2009 08:49 AM

If you still want to go the firewire route you might want to use a better designed 1394 driver than the M$ windows inhouse driver.

The driver from a third party company will allow you to replace the (since XP SP2 speed capped) 1394 driver with their own driver through the use of a nifty interface window.

A while ago I posted a similar fix which involved manually changing the registry, now with this diverpack utility you can switch (using their graphical interface) between the existing M$ driver and theirs in a matter of 2 seconds, also switching back again to the original M$ driver takes the same 2 seconds.

No need to reboot for it to take effect, after a couple of cpu cycles the drivers is loaded and fully functional.

you can find it at http://www.alliedvisiontec.com/avt-products/software/avt-1394-bus-driver-package.html

They have 32 & 64 Bit drivers to please everybody.

Maybe this is also a help for @ll the users who have issues with the external ADVC converters .................

SoundFreak 07-17-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tingsern (Post 83261)
For example, while there are Firewire 800 devices, there aren't any native device driver for a Firewire 800 host card.

Actually, I found them a while back, they do exist, but not from M$. (see post above)
As I'm using, sorry, rephrase, having a couple of firewire 800 cards I never stopped looking for a driver ..........

edit; for system builder, tweakers, geeks, if you go to the driver properties in your system properties/device manager/1394 bus host controllers/properties/advanced, you can change several settings in the driver (if you know what you are doing)

Videoguys 07-17-2009 09:53 AM

We recommend G-Tech G-Raid3 for HDV editing. It has FUSB,Firewire and eSata conections. While you can get by with USB or firewire, eSata gives far better throughput and results.

G=Tech GRAIDs are very well designed. They stay cool. Heat is the enemy of external hard drives.

For more info

Gary