Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   EDIUS: Compatible Third Party Products (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   HEVC Plugin for EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43772)

GrassValley_PS 09-13-2019 12:12 AM

HEVC Plugin for EDIUS

A company named Nablet is conducting a public beta for a plugin for EDIUS. If you are interested, follow the directions on the website. Currently, it is pretty simple but they are taking down the information and will decide what else to include with the plugin.

FYI, when you do install it and go to the exporter to use it, it is currently listed under other. There are no controls to it. You will just get the export.

http://www.nablet.com/products/plugi...for-edius-pro/

Ron Evans 09-13-2019 03:36 AM

Nice to see someone providing product for EDIUS but once again just Intel CPU. So it is just another QS encode with smart render from 6 core cpu ? What is stopping use of AMD or NVIDIA encoders that are more powerful.

Jerry 09-13-2019 05:17 AM

I don't see where it says it is just Intel CPU's.

A powerful CPU with at least 6 logical cores
Support for Intel GPU
SSD drives

What is stopping use of AMD or NVIDIA encoders that are more powerful.

I would ask those questions of Nablet.

ulyssesvideo 09-13-2019 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrassValley_PS (Post 323969)
A company named Nablet is conducting a public beta for a plugin for EDIUS. If you are interested, follow the directions on the website. Currently, it is pretty simple but they are taking down the information and will decide what else to include with the plugin.

FYI, when you do install it and go to the exporter to use it, it is currently listed under other. There are no controls to it. You will just get the export.

http://www.nablet.com/products/plugi...for-edius-pro/

Will this plug-in work in edius 7 or 8?

Crespel 09-13-2019 09:19 AM

It seems to me it is only for Intel CPU's with Grafic(= QuickSync).
So no use with HEDT Systems.

It is anyhow a shame for GV that they are still not capable even not in 9.50 to implement a HEVC De-/Encoder or use the NVIDIA.

Ron Evans 09-13-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry (Post 323972)
I don't see where it says it is just Intel CPU's.

A powerful CPU with at least 6 logical cores
Support for Intel GPU
SSD drives

What is stopping use of AMD or NVIDIA encoders that are more powerful.

I would ask those questions of Nablet.

As I read the information it will use the CPU to encode the changed edits from a h265 file ( hence pressing the 6 core ) and if available will use the Intel GPU. I am sure if they used a NVIDIA or AMD GPU they would have stated that. If not really poor marketing. The key here is smart rendering of h265 files I think from the timeline. So if there are no effects or grading just cuts it would smart render ? If there is any grading it will not work and need rendering. So if there are only cuts then TMPGenc Smart Renderer will also do the job and will use NVIDIA and AMD GPU or X265 with a regular price the same $69. I am just trying to imagine the situation where one has got a project on the timeline for export to h265 with no effects or grading from a h265 source. Why would you use EDIUS for this task when there are other lower cost alternatives like TMPGEnc Smart Renderer that can do this up to 8K source and use all the available GPU's.

If this is just a section of a larger project that is to be exported in h265 from the timeline then it will be restricted to Intel GPU for acceleration anyway since EDIUS cannot use the GPU from NVIDIA or AMD for this task ?

Jerry 09-13-2019 02:28 PM

Have you installed it or is this all speculation?
You are also missing the point that it is an H.265 software exporter for Edius. Remember, this is a beta and joining the public beta will help in the development.

Ron Evans 09-13-2019 03:17 PM

Speculation, I am on EDIUS 8.53 so option for export h265 is not available to me anyway. Just trying to understand how it would be used and hence my comments. Value of smart render is if you are not changing very much so do not want to re render everything. Yes I can see the value of just putting a title on a clip and removing shots of ones feet etc. Still wonder why one would use EDIUS for this. If the h265 clip is part of a bigger project that is to be encoded to h265 I think we are back to the issue of encoders. If that clip is to be exported to another codec then the plugin is of no value anyway.

Jerry 09-13-2019 03:29 PM

You are really overthinking this.

Here is what Pat posted in the post entitled HEVC PLUGIN FOR EDIUS

Sign up for the beta and test it on your Threadripper. That way you can prove it either works or doesn't work on AMD chips. As I stated before, this is a software encoder
for HEVC.

Ron Evans 09-13-2019 03:38 PM

Have done and will report back when I get it.