Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Editing with EDIUS (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best procedure to use photo or graphic files (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41388)

Haddock 02-07-2018 05:04 PM

Best procedure to use photo or graphic files
 
This question is to give Edius the lightest job possible in managing files and memory.

Introducing a photographic image in a HD project can be done just by charging the desired files in the Bin and then add it on the timeline.

Generally in jpeg the dimensions can go up to 5472 x 3648 wich is too much for an HD project.... except if you want to zoom in.

Personnaly, as professional producer and director I don't like to use each image as it is.

1st step : so, via a photo editor I first finalize the image for a perfect balance of color, framing, sharpening...) and save it TIFF as original for all other use.

Using this original in HD is also heavy and needs anyway to frame for 16:9 with the F7 tool

So again, during the first step and after save in Tiff, I go on and crop the view in 16:9 then reformat in 1920*1080 and save it in TGA especially for Edius.

All these operations are programmed in a macro to spare time and focus my attention on the important points. But anyway it takes time.

Result on HD video screen via Edius are very close when I compare Tiff full resolution of 5472*3648 and TGA 1920*1080 ... but generally beter with TGA HD (Edius don't have to recalculate all points). TGA files take less place and the speed of Edius is generally faster.

This method, I have set-up years ago when Edius and computer were slower because memory, processors, windows....

My two last project (historical narration) are more then 1000 files pictures.

So finally my question. Reducing 80% of pictures immediately in HD does it still worth it or are they other procedure to lighten or relieve the jobb and speed of Edius ?

Thanks for advice

Drbgaijin 02-08-2018 01:04 AM

If I was working on projects with up to 1000 images I would not use EDIUS alone.
I would use Proshow Producer to make the parts with the 1000 images and either edit in the video parts from EDIUS.
Or do the video parts in EDIUS and edit in the image parts from Proshow.
Regards
Douglas

Haddock 02-08-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drbgaijin (Post 306136)
If I was working on projects with up to 1000 images I would not use EDIUS alone.
I would use Proshow Producer to make the parts with the 1000 images and either edit in the video parts from EDIUS.
Or do the video parts in EDIUS and edit in the image parts from Proshow.
Regards
Douglas

Thanks to have follow. But I am very satisfy with Edius thanks that it can use a lot of graphic format and manipulate every clip (foto, video, title) in the Layout F7 with 2D and 3D. Moreover with dynamic key points to introduce movment.
In fact, the evolution of the layouter between Edius 5.51 and 8 was my main motivation to upgrade.

My question was to know if it was still interesting to decrease the formats of each image to relieve Edius....

kpot 02-08-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haddock (Post 306147)
Thanks to have follow. But I am very satisfy with Edius thanks that it can use a lot of graphic format and manipulate every clip (foto, video, title) in the Layout F7 with 2D and 3D. Moreover with dynamic key points to introduce movment.
In fact, the evolution of the layouter between Edius 5.51 and 8 was my main motivation to upgrade.

My question was to know if it was still interesting to decrease the formats of each image to relieve Edius....

Not sure if I understand your question correct:
One of my "Pre-Edit"-Tasks is to convert all necessary still-assets into tiff-format. I use ""Movavi Video Converter 18 Premium" (Video, Audio, stills etc.).
So my projects consists all of only tiff-stills.
Regards kurt

Haddock 02-08-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpot (Post 306155)
Not sure if I understand your question correct:
One of my "Pre-Edit"-Tasks is to convert all necessary still-assets into tiff-format. I use ""Movavi Video Converter 18 Premium" (Video, Audio, stills etc.).
So my projects consists all of only tiff-stills.
Regards kurt

I will precize.... in place of inserting directly in Edius a photo file of 20 millions pixels that is around 5472*3648 pixels in 58 Mg in tiff... I resize it after cropping in 16:9 in 1920*1080 pixels in 6 Mg in TGA and then insert in Edius.

It takes time to prepare each image so : My question is to know if it is still interesting to decrease the formats of each image to relieve Edius....

Drbgaijin 02-08-2018 01:25 PM

If you resize your pictures to 1920x1080 pixels and use them at that size or smaller, as you move them around, there should be no problem.
But if you are going to zoom into them, you will begin to notice the pixels.
If you want to zoom as part of the effect you need pictures which are larger than 1920x1080. to keep the sharpness when you zoom.
Regards
Douglas

Haddock 02-08-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drbgaijin (Post 306168)
If you resize your pictures to 1920x1080 pixels and use them at that size or smaller, as you move them around, there should be no problem.
But if you are going to zoom into them, you will begin to notice the pixels.
If you want to zoom as part of the effect you need pictures which are larger than 1920x1080. to keep the sharpness when you zoom.
Regards
Douglas

I know that it will be no problem...(and more, image can be beter)... but will it be helpfull for Edius ?

Of course as I have written in my first post
Quote:

Generally in jpeg the dimensions can go up to 5472 x 3648 wich is too much for an HD project.... except if you want to zoom in.

Jerry 02-08-2018 02:50 PM

I'm with Douglas on this one. If you are doing a montage of 1000 images, having the correct tool will save you a lot of time. I wouldn't attempt to do a 1000 image montage in Edius using layouter. Mainly, because it would be waaaaaaay too much work. Proshow Producer will also accept 4K video and allow you to create titles.

I would at least download the Proshow Producer 9 trial and give it a try.
http://www.photodex.com/try

If you do these types of projects regularly, the software will pay for itself, in time saved alone.

As far as converting the files, I would get a batch converter or if you have Photoshop or Lightroom, use them. I wouldn't take the resolution all the way down to 1920x1080 though. Around 3K'ish should be good for performance and zooming.

I get the impression you are more interested in adjusting everything for the best Edius performance. That's all fine and dandy, but project quality should be considered first.

Edius is just one tool to use.

Drbgaijin 02-09-2018 06:52 AM

For anyone not realising just how much difference a dedicated slideshow application makes to the time needed to create a compilation that can be used inside of EDIUS (or any other NLE) I have made the following short demonstration.
https://vimeo.com/254979758
Regards
Douglas

alanlacey 02-09-2018 10:10 AM

Very interesting discussion. But no one has addressed the original question (as I see it anyway) Is there a 'preferred' still format that minimizes the internal processing required by Edius to insert these stills? I've never used so many stills as to warrent another application to handle them but I would always go through a bitmap editor (PS or Affinity these days) to prepare them for their intended use in Edius (zooming, moving etc)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Copyright 2014 Belden Inc. All rights reserved.