Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   ProCoder (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What this ? "DV Reader: file fomat invalid" (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1024)

vincej 06-14-2007 05:33 PM

What this ? "DV Reader: file fomat invalid"

My first post to Procoder - hope you can help.

I have captured an analogue file using ADVC55 in dv.avi. It is PAL.

I have edited it in Pal and then made a whole new avi from the results.

I now want to convert the new avi into NTSC.

Procoder Express is giving me an error "DV Reader: file format invalid"

I have never had this error yet. What does the error mean ?

Could it be the consequence of the editing of the orginal PAl avi ?

Are there any work arounds ?

Many thanks Vincej

GrassValley_KH 06-14-2007 05:48 PM

Ok we're missing a vital piece of the puzzle here - the software used to edit.

EDIUS? Premiere Pro? Something else? What version number of the software?

vincej 06-14-2007 06:53 PM

Sorry - On a forum where so pros come I am embarrassed to say that it was edited using Ulead Visual Studio 11.

thanks Vince

GrassValley_KH 06-14-2007 07:10 PM

There we go. So I assume you used Ulead to capture the footage (as PAL) yes? Do you know what DV format Ulead was set to capture? If it's a funky, non-Microsoft DV format, then ProCoder Express may not be recognising the codec.

Are you able to capture (or render out) as Microsoft DV AVI? ProCoder shouldn't have any trouble with that format. (PAL or NTSC)

vincej 06-14-2007 08:05 PM

Ok - i have checked and I am capturing Microsft DV.avi open dml

when it goes to ntsc it also is Microsoft.

The curious thing is that I have been doing Pal > NTSC conversions very successfully on the native files.

Just this time it has gone boom hence my thinking that it might have something to do with the fact that I edited the Pal file before conversion.

What does the error message actually mean ?

Many thanks Vince

GrassValley_BH 06-14-2007 08:16 PM

The error means ProCoder can't read the DV file properly. Either it's not DV, or contains invalid data.

THoff 06-14-2007 08:29 PM

Can you open the file in question using Windows Media Player? You can also have GSpot check for codec problems (a possible consequence of installing so-called "codec packs") and scan the file for damage.

vincej 06-14-2007 08:38 PM

Yup it will play on Microsoft media player.

I have checked it on AVIcodec and I have the available codecs on my system to play it.

I will have to download Gspot and check it.

many thanks Vincej

vincej 06-14-2007 09:26 PM

Ok - I checked with Gspot and this is what it is telling me on the edited file wich caused the error message - I do not understand what this is saying.

Note: 10.1 GB unneeded bytes at end of file
DV Type 2 AVI
Multipart OpenDML AVI (5 parts)
(128658 frames in first part, -32 frames follow)

Additionally I tried converting the orginal *unedited* PAL dv.avi file and it converted fine into NTSC. The curious thing is that if I check this presumed "good" file it is giving me similar dodgey report:

Note: 14.6 GB unneeded bytes at end of file
DV Type 2 AVI
Multipart OpenDML AVI (5 parts)
(166582 frames in first part, -3 frames follow)

What is the moral of the story ? I like to understand so I fix it myself next time.

Many thanks Vince

THoff 06-14-2007 09:36 PM

Essentially, the size information in the header doesn't match the file's actual size.

Can you play the entire file in Windows Media Player? Have you tried moving the playhead position near the end of the file and playing the video?