Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Graphics card recommendations for Edius 8 or 9 4K footage (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40857)

David Ice 11-12-2017 11:00 PM

Graphics card recommendations for Edius 8 or 9 4K footage

Hello All,

I find I'm increasingly shooting everything in 4K in XAVC-S on Sony cameras. I currently have an older computer with an i7 3930 3.2GH 6 core processor and 32GB of ram. My current display card is an NVidia GeForce GTX 570.

It's so hard to find info on what, if any, video card I should upgrade to to be able to handle more 4K multicam editing. As it is now, I have to pre-render the XAVC-S files to Edius HDX AVI files and even still I only get a 1-2 frame buffer for multicam playback/editing, which causes sound stutters--awkward for editing music concerts! Right now I have a 7 camera shoot to edit!

Thanks for your input in advance! I sincerely appreciate !!!

BernH 11-13-2017 12:04 AM

Edius is more about CPU then GPU.

Based on your signature, you are using Edius 6.53. Newer versions as in latest V8 and V9 have quicksync assisted playback, which can use an intel GPU to assist h264 based media playback, but with Edius 6.53, a newer faster CPU is the only real option to give you more streams of playback, but I still doubt you would be able to handle more than a couple or three of streams of 4K without reducing the framerate via the skip frames setting for multicam.

video178 11-13-2017 12:15 AM

not sure why i think GPU not help, choose CPU with Quicksync and SSD hard drive

BernH 11-13-2017 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by video178 (Post 301221)
not sure why i think GPU not help, choose CPU with Quicksync and SSD hard drive

I suggested the GPU wouldn't help because the OP's signature quotes Edius 6.53, which did not have the ability to use quicksync GPU for playback assist, but you will note that I did say that option is available in V8 and V9.

David Ice 11-13-2017 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernH (Post 301220)
Edius is more about CPU then GPU.

Based on your signature, you are using Edius 6.53. Newer versions as in latest V8 and V9 have quicksync assisted playback, which can use an intel GPU to assist h264 based media playback, but with Edius 6.53, a newer faster CPU is the only real option to give you more streams of playback, but I still doubt you would be able to handle more than a couple or three of streams of 4K without reducing the framerate via the skip frames setting for multicam.

I'm on Edius 8.53. It took me a while to figure out WHERE to change the signature, but I did find it.

David Clarke 11-13-2017 12:40 PM

EDIUS does not use the GPU very much but I have found that I tend to get stuttering playback on screen with a 4K project if the graphics card is not powerful enough. This is when EDIUS is playing fine and it looks ok on a screen attached to a Blackmagic card playing at 4K. Which just means the computer is playing it back but the overlay can't keep up.

This would happen on a graphics card with 1GB memory, for example. I would suggest something like an nVidia 1060, which I tend to have on most of my machines, or better.

If you do have a BM card connected you can ignore the overlay and look at the BM card anyway.

GrassValley_SL 11-13-2017 12:59 PM

If you color grade a lot and use the PCC you need a very good GPU as EDIUS can use the GPU for processing .

I think that getting the best GPU within your budget is smart.

BernH 11-13-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrassValley_SL (Post 301274)
If you color grade a lot and use the PCC you need a very good GPU as EDIUS can use the GPU for processing .

As long as you are not on Windows 7. There is a memory leak on windows 7 when using the GPU to accelerate the PCC filter.

GrassValley_SL 11-13-2017 03:25 PM

We have been open about this in a sticky posted on 05-17-2017.
https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...ad.php?t=39874

We assume they are read.

Roland Schulz 11-14-2017 05:59 AM

7 UHD tracks is quite much but it "could" work.
I also use Sony XAVC-S files (a6500) and recently did a test with my new i7 8700K running at 4.9GHz.
The project is 10bit (due to color corrections e.g.) and in full preview I got 4 tracks (multitrack) running. 8bit preview gives me 6 tracks, with 7 it begins to stutter after a while.
In layouter multipicture I get 4 pics in 8bit preview and 3 pics in full preview.

I have to check how many tracks I get using an 8bit project or reducing the preview quality to 1/2 (E8 Workgroup) but I guess that doesn´t help that much since QuickSync will always decode the full source stream and is the limiting factor here...

I also have an GTX1070 in my system but Edius unluckily hardly uses that card (except primary color correction and some raw conversions).