Grass Valley Forums

Grass Valley Forums (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   EDIUS: Compatible Hardware and Accessories (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   4790K overclock (http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43471)

ExFool 06-13-2019 07:17 PM

4790K overclock

How "high" do you push your 4790K?

- frequency
- voltage
- temperature

Thanks,

Jerry 06-16-2019 04:03 PM

I've run at 4.7GHz since day one. If you are going to be encoding UHD 59.94p 10bit, you may want to stick in the 4.5GHz-4.6GHz range.
I get high heat when doing 10bit UHD 59.94 encodes in 4.7GHz.

Make sure you have really good airflow through your case and a water cooler. I have the Corsair 110. If you have a big enough case that can handle a 360mm radiator on top, get the Corsair H150i.

Make sure you have a PSU of high enough wattage and efficiency to support overclocking. This is important. Low efficiency PSU's will get you every time.
You can look at a PSU calculator and get an idea.
I'm running an 850wt PSU. The big draw is the overclocking and 1080ti.

If you are not familiar with overclocking, use the turbo mode presets from your motherboard manufacturer.

Good luck.

ExFool 06-16-2019 10:35 PM

Thanks Jerry,

My needs are very modest, at this time I'm not doing much above full HD (source files). It's legal stuff (talking heads) and most of it ends up exported to 720P, some 1080.

I've had it at 4.6 GHz and got a couple of BSODs, both of them while rendering. So I dialed it back to 4.5 GHz and moved the voltage up to 1.3 volts. No water cooler either, just a huge "Be quiet" radiator with a 15 (?) cm fan.

The CPU goes up now to 80 degrees Celsius while exporting, whereas before it was only going to 70 - so I was thinking maybe the voltage was too low, hence the crashes.

Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting something here... this is my first overclocked CPU. I'm using the BIOS to set both frequency and voltage, and the MOBO is the Asus Z97, have 32 GB of RAM and the GPU is the new GEForce GTX 1660. Using the TMPEG Edius plugins - with 1080i source files exporting to 720P is going at 5-6 times real time, I'm very happy with the performance... just want to make sure I'm not messing something up...

Thanks,

Jerry 06-16-2019 11:55 PM

I would try the overclock without changing voltages manually.
Open up the bios and look for the presets. There should be a 4.5GHz to 4.7 GHz set of presets.
Choose the one you want and give it a try.

Since you haven't posted your system specs, I'll leave it here.

ExFool 06-17-2019 03:05 PM

I thought I did list my system specs... not sure what else...

I use Windows 10 64-bit and Edius 8 Pro.

Geoff_C 06-17-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

I've had it at 4.6 GHz and got a couple of BSODs, both of them while rendering. So I dialled it back to 4.5 GHz and moved the voltage up to 1.3 volts.
Out of interest why did you raise the voltage? In the past my old machine got a tad hot on long renders on hot days. I just dialled the clock rate down and lowered the voltage slightly. The heat/voltage relationship is square law so a small change can make a significant difference. This knocked the max temp down by about 15deg.
My ASUS board allowed me to save templates eg 'standard ' or 'long renders' which could be changed without rebooting. Current machine has adequate cooling. One learns by mistakes.

ExFool 06-18-2019 12:32 AM

I raised the voltage because that's what I am reading on the almighty internet. If the processor/system becomes unstable at a given processor speed, it means one of two things: either I pushed the CPU too far, or the CPU is fine, but needs more juice. Am I mistaken?

Geoff_C 06-18-2019 10:30 AM

My interpretation with overclocking was that if the machine became unstable the raise the voltage a tad & try again. Both of these changes will result in an increase in running temperature. In my case I had raised the clock from 3.4G to 3.8G (2600K) with no increase in voltage needed but on short renders overheating occurred too quickly. Hence I dropped the clock back to 3.4G and tested again. I reasoned that I could probably drop the voltage as well which proved to be the case. Hence my enquiry as to your reasoning to raise the voltage after dropping the clock speed.
Thanks G